cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP Closed : Remote Terminating - BOTH FTTC lines doing the same thing

Dual_Wan

PPP Closed : Remote Terminating - BOTH FTTC lines doing the same thing

Hi,

I've had 2 lines running for several years now using Draytek 2860 / 2862 Routers - I've recently moved (just a street away) and when I moved the first line over it was pretty stable with better speeds than previous, however, I've moved the 2nd line over now and since then both have become affected by regular disconnects - the Modems stay up, but I get the following message in the logs :

PPP Closed : Remote Terminating (PPPoE)

and

DSL:  Modem Shut Down from ADSL Phy Layer (0)

I've no phones connected to either, drops can be several times an hour, they are powered off a UPS so it's a clean feed, no crackles on the lines (there was a few weeks back but thats gone now), and oddly enough both seem to go at once - which is really annoying as I have them pointing WAN2 at each other in case of failure...

The drop wire comes straight into the first BT Openreach box (MK4 5C I think) and then there's a short link to the second BT Openreach box - both Routers are directly connected into their respective boxes without filters.

The Draytek 2862 is brand new.

The line itself goes to a different cab from my old home and is about 300m away, and stats are below :

Router 1 :

Downstream            Upstream                
Actual Rate73999Kbps19999Kbps
Attainable Rate113818Kbps29944Kbps
Path ModeFastFast
Interleave Depth11
Actual PSD6. 5dB12. 7dB

Near End                 Far End                   
TrellisONON
BitswapONON
ReTx1 1 
SNR Margin17dB11dB
Attenuation16dB17dB
CRC01771
FECS0s115s
ES0s1558s
SES0s57s
LOSS0s3s
UAS138s38131s

Router 2:

Downstream            Upstream                
Actual Rate79997Kbps19999Kbps
Attainable Rate115360Kbps30666Kbps
Path ModeFastFast
Interleave Depth11
Actual PSD6. 6dB12. 8dB

Near End                 Far End                   
TrellisONON
BitswapONON
ReTx0 1 
SNR Margin15dB12dB
Attenuation15dB17dB
CRC05059
FECS0s35153s
ES0s1115s
SES0s158s
LOSS0s0s
UAS139s480860s

Any thoughts / ideas or how I can get stable ?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: PPP Closed : Remote Terminating - BOTH FTTC lines doing the same thing

Thanks for getting in touch @Dual_Wan and apologies for the delayed response.

I can see our support team have been looking at this for you and a engineer went out yesterday.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that they were able to find a issue and I can see that the connection is still dropping on both lines.

Is it still the same error you're getting in the logs of the router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Dual_Wan

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for replying, the engineer did come out yesterday and found what he described as a 'wet joint'   (I assume he couldn't light it haha) - it seems whatever he has done has given some stability back to both lines, I've updated the tickets to put them on hold and I'll see how it goes over the weekend, but it's looking good so far with only a couple of drops overnight, but the weather has been dry here...

I'll update on Monday / Tuesday, but hopefully this was the issue and he sorted it.

Thanks again.

Dual_Wan

Good morning, unfortunately after an initial period of stability, the drops are occurring again, same pattern as before (both lines drop out together), initially the weather was dry but after a day of rain it was back to the problems again.

The line(s) are still using the test socket and only the router attached (no phones or extensions).

Friday 20th March between 8am - 1pm is a good time for an engineers visit.

Thanks.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've taken this on for you and will wait for the weather to change. I can then book an appointment in for you. Tony.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Dual_Wan

Thanks for time on the phone Tony, much appreciated.

Is it possible to link my 2 problems to save on duplication and tying up an engineer twice ?

Question #199760280 & #199760234

Thanks again.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Sadly not as they're on two accounts. What I have done though is put them both in my workflow. I can then work each of them together.

In all honesty, if the fault is what we think, we only really need to raise the fault report on one account.

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team