cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Router Issues (TG582n FTTC)

rettopttam

PN Router Issues (TG582n FTTC)

I seem to be getting regular issues with wireless devices connected to my router not being able to connect to the internet and only restarting the router seems to help.
Are there any steps I can take a stop this from happening or do I need to invest in a better/newer router?
Could it be too many devices for example or some sort of conflict?
Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Matt
Router: TG582n FTTC
Software Release: 8.C.M.0
Software variant: DG
Boot loader version 1.0.5
Board name: DANT-T
Product Code: 3684778B
10 REPLIES 10
khile
Grafter

Re: PN Router Issues (TG582n FTTC)

Do you have any other routers on network? if not its more thank likely that your on same channel as one of your neighbours and this is causing the conflict i would suggest changing wireless channel as first port of call and go from there 
alext05
Grafter

rettopttam

Quote from: khile
Do you have any other routers on network? if not its more thank likely that your on same channel as one of your neighbours and this is causing the conflict i would suggest changing wireless channel as first port of call and go from there 

Thanks khile, I'll take a look later and see what channels are being used. I have some software on my laptop that can scan to check. Only 1 router on my network.
rettopttam

Quote from: alext05
Reparo?
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Mending_Charm

Lost my wand so couldn't do that one!
rettopttam

Any advice for a good dual-band wireless fibre router if I wanted to buy one, up-to £100?
rettopttam

Quote from: Harry
Quote from: khile

Thanks khile, I'll take a look later and see what channels are being used. I have some software on my laptop that can scan to check. Only 1 router on my network.

Over 18 networks are now being picked up in and around my house... I'm sure it was only 6 when last did this a year ago! I've got my router manually set to channel 13, should I set it to automatic?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I find an automatic setting can sometimes be problematic as some devices don't switch wireless channels seamlessly.
I also use the TG582n and find it ok but I agree the wireless coverage is not great. So much so I just bought myself a Home Hub 5 off Ebay for 25 quid. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing as I thought the price was reasonable for a gigabit router with AC wireless and a built in VDSL modem. I have read some mixed reviews of the HH5. Some people have no issues with it, some people have issues (like most routers I suppose). I haven't decided yet whether to keep the HG612 modem instead of using the built in VDSL modem, tests will need to be done.
Worst case scenario is I can resell it on Ebay I suppose. There are lots of good recommendations on the forum for wireless routers. I just didn't want to spend much money on a replacement for the TG582n, so we will see how the HH5 performs.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Harry
Any advice for a good dual-band wireless fibre router if I wanted to buy one, up-to £100?

TP Link TD W9980 is worth a look, there are a few of us on here that are using this device on PlusNet fibre with no issues.
It can also replace the BT Openreach modem at the same time.
khile
Grafter

In regards to a good dual band router i use a TP Link WRD3600 connected to my Bt modem and share signal via 5ghz as is empty by me also as a plus its ddwrt flashable so lots to play with and i also use a Cisco E4200v1 again in 5ghz as a Wireless Ethernet bridge
So i can vouch for both of these both router are capable of sharing my 80mb connection and i get 75mb on wireless using the 5ghz
or if your wanting to rid yourself of the BT openreach router i suggest TP Link W9980 friend uses this and he swear by it
rettopttam

Thanks khile, PowerLee and jafreer, I'll take a look and try to decide which one might be a good purchase.
I think the amount of networks near my house may still be an issue but maybe a better router with more power/range my help... I'll experiment!