Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN IP Profile

FIXED
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

PN IP Profile

Can PN staff please tell me when will PN bring back Bras IP Profile via member account as this one https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed has been removed off by PN as I can't tell if the PN profile has matched BT IP Profile on 76.66Mb as I think PN profile is slower than this one.

Getting 72Meg throughput speed via ethernet. Should be getting around 75Meg for Sync rate of 79.2Mbps

18 REPLIES 18
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: PN IP Profile

Hi @goldenfibre, thanks for your post.

On checking your account, I can confirm that the current connection profile is set at:

Connection Profile:Generic Speed 76200

With regards the speed - was there a service or site that you were trying to use that isn't working at 72mbps but that will at 75mbps?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@OskarPapa  Should be set at 76.6Mb where can I check this Connection Profile:Generic Speed ?

72Mb by thinkbroadband speedtest and 72Mb by speedtest.net and 72Mb by structured.speedtest

https://structured.speedtestcustom.com/result/cf5ead10-8161-11e9-bc3f-3fa880ef39c4

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @goldenfibre thanks for getting back to me.

I'd highly recommend taking a look at the below article, with particular emphasis on the 'What is an IP Profile' and 'Why does BT Apply a BRAS/ IP Profile':

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#FTTC_ipProfile

I think you'll find the article very useful, and it'll help to explain why the profiles are set as they are.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@OskarPapa I just asked you this question

where can I check this Connection Profile:Generic Speed ? via member account.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @goldenfibre.

The short answer is that you're not able to.

The functionality was removed and we have no plans to reintroduce it at this time.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@OskarPapa that's fine but will be leaving PN soon in this October when my contract has expiry. PN has been downfalls lately. Not the same company anymore. Will move to other isp soon. Plusnet will lose me as a customer because of ip profile removed from the customer panel, billing unresolved ongoing etc. Worse ever PN. Can't wait to get out of this company.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear this goldenfibre.

I can probably say for some certainty that you'll not see any difference to your speeds if your connection profile was at 76.6mbps, we're talking about 0.4mbps on a fibre connection at almost 80mbps here. Having said that I have increased it to 76600kbps now. If you need any further assistance please let us know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Fix

@Gandalf I done soft disconnected and reconnected, now getting 74/19 Smiley Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem.

Just out of curiosity apart from seeing the figures have increased slightly on a speed test, has this made any improvement to your service?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Seem very strange because when I did asked PN to made change to my PN IP Profile to matched BT one last Friday on this one here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Incorrect-IP-Profile-from-PN/m-p/1642129#M95970

The speedtest never above 72Mbps until you done 76600kbps today and it now above 74Mbps - I dunno why is this? Maybe down to Static IP Address keep the profile stuck at PN end?

But, it all seem ok now as getting 74/19 now according to BTw speedtest. (BTw speedtest always slower on upload speed throughout, just ignore it)

BTw speedtest for IP ProfileBTw speedtest for IP Profile

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Whether the IP is static or dynamic should make no difference at all to how speed profiles work but I'm glad to hear that's made a difference. - Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@adamwalker In future if BT IP profile has changed the new throughput speed should always around 1.5/2.0Mbps lower than Bras IP Profile Rate on the line. If it was more than 4Mbps lower than Bras IP Profile Rate on the line, then we know it down to PN end.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@adamwalker wrote:

Whether the IP is static or dynamic should make no difference at all to how speed profiles work but I'm glad to hear that's made a difference. - Adam

Really? Has something changed recently? I thought that for most customers (on dynamic IPs, modern Unlimited tariffs, and on the "new network" WBMC Dedicated), Plusnet's copy of the IP profile has no effect, it doesn't matter what it is because it doesn't limit their speed. Whereas for people on static IPs, Plusnet's copy of the IP profile does limit their speed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The connection/speed profile on an account works in the same way whether you have a dynamic or static IP address. It's just that this profile can affect your throughput if it's set too low and if you have a static IP as you'd be tunneling through L2TP.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet