Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Hub One

gavininwales
Grafter

PN Hub One

Hi,
I was given one of the Technicolor Routers when i signed up for Fibre back in October, which was in all honesty a pile of poop, terrible connect speeds and useless wifi.  In desperation I went back to my now ancient BT Home Hub 4a which had been working with my ADSL connection. I also have a Business Hub 5 which is ok, but suffers from WiFi drop outs like all the HH5 boxes and the whistle when you use WiFi like all HH5 boxes.  Is the Hub One just a rebadged HH5 (with all of the problems mentioned before) and is it worth speaking to PlusNet to get one?  My HH4 is now needing regular restarts, so it may be time to change.
Thanks
Gavin
19 REPLIES 19
scottymc
Grafter

Re: PN Hub One

Buddy
The hub one works perfectly fine mine hasn't dropped connection once (only when the misses turns it off by mistake) and the WiFi is as good as any router I've had before....
nadger
Rising Star

My Plusnet Hub One has been running, with no disconnects, for 39 days since fibre installed.
No problems with either 2.4Ghz ( laptop, tablet and phone) or 5Ghz ( Roku) wi-fi channels.
nadger
Rising Star

Spoke too soon  Cry
Minutes after making my post a warning came on screen that orange light was on and router had no connection.
Reconnected without my touching anything.
scottymc
Grafter

Lol
That's what you call sod's law.....
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I have had a BT HH5A for over 6 months and it has been flawless. Good wifi coverage and no dropped connections. It seems that people either love or hate the HH. But I don't understand how it is so super reliable for some, and awful for others.
orrery
Grafter

Connected the new hub 1 on Friday and then went away on the Monday and it dropped connection about 30 minutes after I left the house (I think it must have been watching me). It took me to cycle the power in the evening when I returned home to get the connection back - a reset wouldn't do it.
I've installed Tado central heating control with geofencing, so I was really annoyed that the heating stayed on full all day when it should have backed off having seen me leave. Grrrr!
sarczoid
Rising Star

I wouldn't go anywhere near a Hub1, its a rebadged BT HomeHub and they are atrocious!
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

And yet mine has been reliable and rock solid. Weird.
gavininwales
Grafter

I've reconnected my BT Business Hub 5A initially via the Openreach modem to see if i get any complaints from the kids (and wife Wink ) .  I've had issues on the fibre connection with my HH4 recently,i'll see if the swap of router fixes the problem.  I'll move it to VDSL mode Saturday morning to see how it goes.  I have to say the Technicolor yawn and PN Hub Zero (apt name I think) are total pants when it comes to throughput and WiFi performance being both 2ghz only devices.  I've a netgear ADSL router as a secondary WiFi source upstairs and also TP Link line connectors operating a couple of Amazon Fire TVs, Now TVs, 2 x PS4s  and a Youview box running as well off my 38Mbps connection all flawlessly since it was installed in October on a HH4.
If this works, i will forego the £100 (yes £100) that PN wanted to charge me for a Hub 1 as an uprgrade from the Zero.
Thanks
PembsPanther
Grafter

Don'g bother giving PN £100 for a hub one! Much better on the market for the same money and if you really want one then there is one on Ebay at the minute on a buy it now for £39.99 and another at 99p in auction.
sarczoid
Rising Star

Quote from: jafreer
And yet mine has been reliable and rock solid. Weird.

Consider yourself lucky, or using it merely for internet use only Smiley
Ive seen many problems with them, especially regarding LAN communications to file servers and media servers, where the bandwidth is crippled...... (imagine 500KB/s upload to a file server that works 12MB/s on a TP-LINK Wireless N Router)
Timalay
Grafter

Quote from: PembsPanther
Don'g bother giving PN £100 for a hub one! Much better on the market for the same money and if you really want one then there is one on Ebay at the minute on a buy it now for £39.99 and another at 99p in auction.

You say that, I bought a TP-Link Archer C7 dual band fibre router for around £80 - £100, and it was awful (both wired and wireless), soon sent it back for a refund.  I've had the Plusnet Hub One for around a month, and it's been pretty solid.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Pretty much what my experience has been. Happy I changed over.
Since I put the Hub 1 in towards the end of last December (replacing an ECI Openreach modem and Technicolor fibre router) it re-synched/reset once on the 1st day to update the firmware and once on the 2nd day to put my synch upto max 80/20 (wasn't getting that with the ECI) and has remained solid since.
I'm using streaming devices on 3 of the LAN ports, PC on the other and intermittently using my smartphone wirelessly and it seems to manage it all just fine.
Also having the 5GHz wireless option now with it I can connect wirelessly and benefit from my full Fibre Extra throughput whereas 2.4Ghz only have me 1/2 of that.

Quote from: jafreer
mine has been reliable and rock solid
PembsPanther
Grafter

TP-Link what more is there to say..............