Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLA Speed loss

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

PLA Speed loss

I took PN TV 2 weeks ago and got a Sagecom 2704N router from PN.
For the last 3 years I have always used PLA wired to my laptop. I've been on fibre 40/20 since January and my download via wired PLA had always been around the 28-29Mb download 17Mb upload.
However since the Sagemcon router/PN TV I am struggling to get speeds above 13MB via the PLA wired and wifi, even with the ethernet disconnected from the You View box [Viewing via You View is fine and no buffering] my upload is faster than the download! Nothing [that I am aware of] has changed but the router.
I've tried using my old PLA that I had the better speeds with but it has decreased via those as well the only thing I haven't done is try the Technicolor TG582 again.
I can't see there is a connection with the new router and know PN will say they can't help as the wired speed straight to the router is acceptable but wondered if any one has any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: PLA Speed loss

Do you have a double socket that you can plug both PLAs in to and see what the speeds are like then?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mayfly
All Star

Thanks for responding Chris.
Side by side the speed reads 34Mb so I guess it's down to the house wiring? I have no idea why it has dropped so drastically.
Edit: I've just unplugged the You View box and the speed has gone back up again.
Mayfly
All Star

For info really, in case it can help anyone else who had the same problem..
After trial and error I unplugged the YV Box from an extension lead and plugged it straight into the wall socket and my speeds have gone back to what they were via the PLA.
Fingers crossed it stays that way.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Do you mean the YouView power supply plugged directly into the wall socket?
That's my arrangement and I suspect it may be emmitting noise  Sad
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Mayfly
All Star

Yep the YV box was in an extension as I had 3 items but only 2 wall sockets, The other equipment is now on the extension but the YV  box is directly in the wall socket.
PeterLoftus
Pro

So where's the homeplug?
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Mayfly
All Star

In another socket in the same room with a 2 meter ethernet cable to the box.
PeterLoftus
Pro

My setup has a 4 port homeplug on a 4 way wall socket. But with the homeplug I had a DEC phone PS, the PS for the YouView box, a fish tank with lighting and a pump plus a long extension for the TV and other stuff. Works adequately but have had the homeplug loose sync and had to disconnect the other stuff to get sync back  Cheesy
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Mayfly
All Star

I know they say don't put the Home plugs on an extension but was surprised to see the YV box was halving my speed by doing so.
PeterLoftus
Pro

Can't work without an extension in my media corner I have YouView box, Sky box, telly, BlueRay,, TV signal booster as well as a Lightwave socket for a standard lamp. My original question was to see whether the PS for the YouView was suspect since I have only had the problem since getting it.  Grin
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra