cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC clean reinstall. Connection problems.

FIXED
KarlM

PC clean reinstall. Connection problems.

Hi , 

I was having issues with Win10 , so opted for a clean reinstall which left me in a loop of Select Region/Keyboard etc with no recognised mouse or keyboard to make the selection. 

I reinstalled Win7 which worked fine. 

I can't connect to my WiFi as the drivers need downloading , so I'm trying to connect via cable without success. 

I've connected the PC to the Router (which is working fine with other devices ) . 

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Sharing Centre > set up new connection/network > connect to the Internet > Broadband (PPoE) 

At this point I'm asked to type the information from your ISP , user name and password 

Any ideas where to get this ? 

Obviously I'll contact Plusnet , but won't be until during the week so I'm hoping to get a quick fix from someone here . 

Cheers 

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PC clean reinstall. Connection problems.

The details you need are yourusername@plusdsl.net and your password, but these should be entered in your router and not via Windows, what device are you using to access the Internet?

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Fix

@KarlM

You generally don't need to set the PC up with the ISP log on details. Your Plusnet router has those.

All you need is a working Ethernet connection.

If you have a Hub One try 192.168.1.254 in a browser and you should see the router status page.

Then something like www.google.co.uk and you should see the Google search page.

Check the router is OK with any other device available on WiFi.

I am the satisfied customer....
KarlM

Cheers Mark. 

Schoolboy error on my part . . . Was using a phone line, not ethernet cable. 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@KarlM

Easily done. I did something very similar when first plugging up my Hub One. The DSL lead plug fits nicely in the WAN port !

I am the satisfied customer....
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

If you're still having problems, try the PC maker's site for correct drivers, or if intel network port, intel's site for their super all singing updater, it's much better than Microsoft's and sorted out a laptop for me