cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overload ?

ash2rach2002

Overload ?

Hi all ,
 I thought I'd ask as not sure what to do....
 We're on unlimited fibre with a steady download speed of between 60-65 mbps and an upload speed of up to 20 mbps and running a Plusnet Hub One.
 We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers who all use the connection, I use a desktop on lan connection, we all have smart phones,2 sky boxes,an Xbox one, 2 laptops,Kindle.....you get the idea.
 The issue we're having possibly,although not sure is bandwidth ?
 Seems worse when the Xbox is on and the kids are streaming YouTube etc.
 The wifi almost grinds to a halt when lots of devices are connected, so much so that 4g on my phone is quicker than waiting for the wifi to load pages. 
 Not sure how to move forward on this one so any help would be gratefully recieved.
 Thanks in advance 
 Ash.

4 REPLIES 4
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Overload ?

Wifi bandwidth will be limited - so with a lot of devices on it then it will be slow.  Shouldn't affect your wired connection much though. Are you all using the same wifi access point (the Hub One has two - at different frequencies )

ash2rach2002

Thanks Steve....
I thought that might be the case.
I saw the two different frequencies on the router settings page but assumed it allocated devices/swapped them itself when one got to full ?
Be ideal to fix specific devices to the different frequencies but not sure how ?
Ash
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

On the router are the SSID's names identical or do they have different names. If identical consider adding "_2.4" & "_5.0" to differentiate between them.

If you do this, you'll need to reset all your wireless connections. Go into settings and manually choose which SSID you want to connect to for that device and reset your password.

Another thing you could do is to obtain a copy of "inSSIDer v3" and put it on one of the laptops. It's a free program (but make sure you download it and not any [-Censored-] that may be on the same download page). It's a network analyser which shows what is happening to the WiFi signal in your location. Remember you're sharing this with everyone else.

Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a lot of wireless devices then it would be easier to just rename the 5GHz as on average there are fewer devices that support it and it will save you having to faff with devices that don’t. If your device supports it, it will appear in the list of available wireless networks, and at that point you can connect to it.