Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered Fibre - Gateway Hopping

Averagejoe
Grafter

Ordered Fibre - Gateway Hopping

Hi,
I should be receiving fibre in the next week or so and I've been perusing a few of the fibre threads.  Gateway hopping has come up a few times and I was wondering what it is and do I need to know how to hop?  Is it the norm or do some people find it helps them out of slow traffic situations?
We are a family of gamers so will have two different consoles hooked up wirelessly, hopefully one on 5ghz and one on 2,4ghz if PN router is dual band.  If not might buy an all in one.
TIA
4 REPLIES 4
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Ordered Fibre - Gateway Hopping

Neither the existing TG582n nor the 2704n PlusNet routers are dual band (i.e. 2.4GHz only.)
Gateway hopping is done by dropping the PPP session via your router interface and then reconnecting in the hope of getting lucky and finding yourself on a 'better' gateway - if that sounds like a game of chance you are right  :D, and the dynamic nature of the system means that a gateway which gives better results one evening might not do so 24 hours later.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

means that a gateway which gives better results one evening might not do so 24 hours later.

From my experience, once I've found a preferred gateway, such as pcl-bng02  :), it maintains good results indefinitely.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: tijara33
means that a gateway which gives better results one evening might not do so 24 hours later.

From my experience, once I've found a preferred gateway, such as pcl-bng02  :), it maintains good results indefinitely.
Not my experience but what I've noticed (as pointed out by AndyH) is that if you restart a download that is performing badly there's a fair chance the next attempt will run at full speed. It works for speed tests as well.
HoboWithAShotgu
Dabbler

Quote from: tijara33

From my experience, once I've found a preferred gateway, such as pcl-bng02  :), it maintains good results indefinitely.

I've had a very rare latency spike tonight while on bng02. Took a few hops before I got my standard ping results. Was playing some King of Fighters with a friend on Steam suddenly went haywire.
On bng03 now and got 9-10ms as usual again. Wonder what's up?