cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orange Light of Doom

Clairejennifer

Orange Light of Doom

So I was happily working from home earlier when at about 12:30 my broadband connection dropped for no reason that I have caused. I have tried turning the router on and off again and for about 1 minute I get a blue light and then it flashes orange before deciding to stay solid orange. I have also tried resetting the router but the light just stays orange when I do this. Occasionally, to mix things up a bit, the “b” on the router will decide to light up orange before disappearing again. I don’t know if there is an issue with the service in my area or on my line (have a landline but no actual phone) so I have no idea what’s going on and all I do know is that my work is annoyed that I can’t work when I’m supposed to be! Can anyone help me?
10 REPLIES 10
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Orange Light of Doom

A blip down the line somewhere.

Is it working now?

Try leaving it off for longer than a minute or try the reset button?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Clairejennifer

I’ve done both and the orange light of doom still remains 😢
Minivanman
Legend

I know when we had problems we'd check in with our neighbour who also had plusnet - just to see if it was an isolated fault.

Sorry not to have been much help but I'm sure others here will have better suggestions.

Hope you get it sorted soon. 🙂

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Check your phone line. Plug in a , preferably corded phone, and dial 17070 selecting option 2.

This is the quiet line test.There should be no noise on the line and a clear dial tone when picked up.

If noisey or no dial tone you will need to report a phone fault first.

Clairejennifer

I don’t own a landline phone. The only reason I have a phone line is for my broadband so I can’t test the phone line
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

That is a shame because that is one of the first things that almost any ISP will ask you to check.

They are readily available for about £6.

Minivanman
Legend

So no landline phone at all @Clairejennifer or somewhere you can plug one in?

If you have a phone socket and I'd be sort of surprised if you do not, perhaps get hold of a cheap phone as @agedgopher  suggests to test the line now or in the future?

Herman Melville
Clairejennifer

I have somewhere I can plug one in but I’ve never needed an actual home phone so I’ve never bothered to have one.

However upon managing to speak to someone at Plusnet the issue I have isn’t down to me or them. Openreach are doing works which has taken down my whole villages broadband! So there’s a lot of unhappy people who are meant to have been working this afternoon and couldn’t! Apparently it’s not expected to be up and running again until 11:30 tonight
Minivanman
Legend

So that's some good news and some bad news then. 🙂

Still might be worth getting a cheap phone for the next time this happens though.  

Having said that there would be no way (as far as I know) of checking mine in the same way as I use VoIP via FTTP.

Herman Melville
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

I know when we had problems we'd check in with our neighbour

That should be near the top of the check list....

Looking out of the window after our latest outage saw several neighbours out on the street.