cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical Network Terminator location

Fenderz

Optical Network Terminator location

My village has recently been fibre optic enabled with new fibre laid from our exchange (1 mile away) to the cabinet in the street. From the cabinet to the house we are using the old BT telephone cable that was installed.
I have spoken to PlusNet about the installation of fibre and they have advised me that the engineer will install  an Optical Network Terminator/modem (ONT) at the master socket in the house and if required will run a cable from the master socket to where my pc is located.
My problem is that my iMac with Time capsule and router is located at the back of my house which has been extended rearwards. I currently use a slave socket in this extension. This socket is connected into the telephone cabling of the house and all cabling is buried in the walls so all neat and tidy. I have never had a problem.
I do not like the idea of cables running along skirting boards and door frames from the front to the back of the house.
So my question is: As the fibre optic cable terminates at the cabinet and not at the house is it really necessary to have the ONT at the master socket?
Why can't it be located anywhere "down stream"?
I am sure I am not the only person to have asked this question.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Optical Network Terminator location

Hi and welcome to the PN forum Smiley
It sounds as if you've received incorrect advice from Plusnet.  From your description it sounds as if BT are installing FTTC rather than FTTP so the fibre will not be extended to your home.  If you put your phone number into https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ you'll see if you're in an FTTC or FTTP area.
BT will (should!) install a modem at the master socket when you order FTTC broadband, though if you also order the data extension kit (free) there will be some flexibility in its location.
Fenderz

Thanks for your reply
I will check it out over the weekend
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your area has FTTC available rather then FTTP.
If you order the data extension kit you can have the modem further away from the master socket.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gofaster
Rising Star

... but the OpenReach guy will nail it to the skirting/door frame.