cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach say we should get 20mbps, only getting 10mbps

Cashman

Openreach say we should get 20mbps, only getting 10mbps

We signed up with Plusnet Fibre in November last year and were estimated to get downstream speeds of 25-35mbps on the 40/02 package (although we all know how accurate these estimates often turn out to be). From the beginning we were disappointed with the speeds we were getting. Our D/L sync at most was 9-10mbps but most of the time we were syncing at only 0.7mbps - worse than the ADSL package we had previously, and this is in an area which was listed in the national press as one of the 10 internet "black spots" of the UK. Our connection frequently dropped out or reset as well.

An Openreach engineer visit followed, he confirmed with his JDSU that we should be syncing at 20-21mbps and getting D/L speeds just below that. Plusnet replaced our router which appears to have finally ended the problem of our connection dropping to 0.7mbps for days at a time - touch wood - but we were still syncing at 10-11mbps, far below the 20mbps achievable. Plugging the replacement Hub One router into the test socket gave us 15.5mbps downstream/1.95mbps upstream, but no improvement when plugged into the normal phone socket. Another Openreach engineer visited and restated more or less what the first one had - he blamed the (replacement) router, said our profile needed changed, etc. while Plusnet are now stating "suspect setup incorrect or ODCs required" (customer service promised to phone back on Monday evening but have yet to do so, and that phonecall was a week overdue). We're currently synced at 12mbps which is very slightly better than usual, and the best we have achieved as yet, but still far less than what the Openreach engineer states we should be getting.

We have a brand-new Hub One which was self-installed. There are two corded phones in the premises, both through filters. The router is not connected through the master socket but that doesn't make any difference since I've had it connected to it previously for 2+ weeks at a time without improvement. No Sky boxes or other devices connected. The master socket is an NTE5 which was installed about 10 years ago. We have directly connected to the router with an ethernet cable, etc. and all the other basic checks including disconnecting all the phones.

Any ideas as to what the problem is here? This issue has persisted for six months now, we are out of our 6-month free introductory period and are now paying for a service which is essentially little better than ADSL. Neither Plusnet nor Openreach will take responsibility for the issue and the latest comment from PN support even suggests that the EU - i.e. us! - is at fault. Personally I would be satisfied with a stable 20/02mbps connection but it seems impossible to make any headway. I do understand the limitations of FTTC but £20 odd a month is to much to pay for 10mbps. Demoralised and fatigued by this problem and would appreciate any help.

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Openreach say we should get 20mbps, only getting 10mbps

Hi Cashman,

Would you mind sending me a PM with your username please?

I'll make sure we're going through the fault finding process without delay for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Cashman

Thank you, PM sent.

Customer service never called back.

Cashman

Aaaaand still no call from customer service. Why should it be up to me to ring up and spend 30 minutes in a queue, or post desperate messages here?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Cashman and cheers for your PM.

Can you let me know the best time to call if I prod the agent that's been trying to get in touch?

EDIT, in case you're unable to respond before I leave at 5.30 I've given an experienced member of our faults team a nudge so they'll try calling you ASAP this evening.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Cashman

You can call us tonight after 6PM, or from the same time tomorrow.