Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach have broken our FTTC! Any chance of help? 107798036

TimStephenson
Grafter

Openreach have broken our FTTC! Any chance of help? 107798036

Hi,
Our FTTC connection died (no sync) at about 10:15 this morning - at the exact same moment there happened to be an Openreach engineer working on the nearby cabinets. Router is fine - and testing with an OR modem rather than our Asus router doesn't resolve.
Given that unless you happen to believe in coincidences I would imagine there's an extremely good chance the engineer has managed to disturb our line while doing something else, is there any way a fault can be escalated and pushed back to OR for swift attention to fix their collateral damage?
Prior to this our line has been perfectly stable and operating normally.
Have logged question 107798036.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tim
10 REPLIES 10
TimStephenson
Grafter

Re: Openreach have broken our FTTC! Any chance of help? 107798036

Well, it seems Openreach finished whatever they were doing and made a swift exit...
... Leaving whatever they've broken firmly broken. Wondering if they've heard of the term collateral damage ?
Anyone from PN able to try and pick-up our ticket (107798036), perhaps run a line test, and boot it back to Openreach to fix whatever they've managed to accidentally screw up for a customer who had a perfectly working connection this morning, before they rocked up to work on someone else's connection?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just been looking into this and no maintenance on a widescale (we only see if it affects a large area) has been reported where you are.
With that in mind it would be unfair of me to queue jump your ticket but do bear with us and one of our faults guys will get back to you over the next few days.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
deathtrap
Grafter

Sadly it seems to be a regular occurrence, well it should be an easy job for the next engineer to fix, at least they didn't leave you with a HR type fault  where bb working but not as it did,resulting in DLM making a further mess, in its attempts to try and mask the underlying problem
TimStephenson
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
With that in mind it would be unfair of me to queue jump your ticket but do bear with us and one of our faults guys will get back to you over the next few days.

Adam, thanks for the reply.
Personally, as a paying customer, I find it grossly unfair that the underlying supplier eg. Openreach are permitted to get away with BREAKING a perfectly good connection - without ANY effort being made from the holder of the customer relationship, eg, yourselves, to get them to do something about it in a timely manner.
It's an extremely poor experience from the customer's perspective, which could have been helped somewhat by you guys at least getting a fault pushed to OR with a view to trying to minimise the impact that it's going to have on us for the week this will probably now take to resolve.
Perhaps your faults guys would like to explain to our 2 & 4 year olds why it's going to take a few days for them to pick up the ticket , during which time we're now stuck without internet access, streaming media, or mobile service as we're dependant on Vodafone & EE femotocells via broadband for service?
I wouldn't mind if there had actually been a problem with the connection. There wasn't.  Surely you have some form of recourse to escalate this with BTW/OR as I would imagine you have scope to claim credit or something similar from them as a supplier for impacting one of your customers?
TimStephenson
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
Sadly it seems to be a regular occurrence, well it should be an easy job for the next engineer to fix, at least they didn't leave you with a HR type fault  where bb working but not as it did,resulting in DLM making a further mess, in its attempts to try and mask the underlying problem

I think I'd rather take a degraded service over a non-functional service 😕
Kind of reminds me of an occasion a few of years back when OR ran a copper line test from the local exchange..  The eng. literally forgot to reconnect the line, leaving it disconnected for about a week with no phone dial tone or adsl sync.  Fault was finally fixed with a note going back to the ISP at the time akin to "copper line termination issue; accidental disconnection". 
TimStephenson
Grafter

By way of additional information, it seems that OR left site yesterday (after completing whatever it was they were doing) in full knowledge that they'd left a number of customers, including ourselves, without service. One of the OR engineers commented to a neighbour that they'd encountered a problem carrying out some works resulting in broken connections, but that apparently isn't sufficient to warrant them making an effort to continue working to resolve it.  Angry
They have however decorated the pavement close to where they were working suggesting they've found something to dig up, but I'd struggle slightly to see how an underground cable fault nowhere near the cabinets serving our connections would have broken VDSL service on our lines without also impacting phone service.
To our knowledge there are at least 5 properties in our immediate area that lost FTTC service yesterday, all at the same time, all as a result of what is presumably the same fault.
PN - could someone please try and kick this back to BTW/OR to at least find out what's going on?
TimStephenson
Grafter

Well, it looks like OR have reconnected whatever they unplugged yesterday.
Our line has now come back up, and seems to be back to normal.
Needless to say, OR haven't called around to check... kind of hoping it's a permanent fix!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear it's come back up.
I've cancelled the visit and the lines testing fine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
TimStephenson
Grafter

Thanks Matthew - appreciated.
Don't support there's any way to find out what they broke / fixed ?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Unfortunately it's not likely I'm afraid.
What I suspect was some sort of failed upgrade or maintenance at the cabinet.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team