Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach Engineer say I am genius :)

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Openreach Engineer say I am genius :)

Yesterday (wednesday) my mate was overall disappointed with his FTTC dropped to 24 Meg from 54 Meg. So, I went over to his house and checked his router and BT socket. Then I help him chat to the fault team to arranged him to have Openreach engineer out for next day (thursday) which it was today. The engineer turn up and he was a nice bloke and told him that we both deaf and I have to help him because he haven't got any clue of broadband issues. I told the engineer that his FTTC speed and disconnected was caused by the other socket upstair which he never aware of it and the downstair socket was outdated. So, the Openreach engineer went upstair and found the fault and disconnected this and then installing new socket downstair 'NTE5C Master Socket with label Openreach on it' and went to the cabinet to resetted DLM. And came back and I showed him his Hub One has shoot up from default 54 Meg to amazing 80 Meg from 491 line length in metres or line attenuation 15.0 which it very good indeed. He now got BT IP Profile of 77.34Mb. He very happy and thanks for all my tips and then the engineer told me I am genius well known of broadband and should work for Openreach but I wish, but, I couldn't because I am deaf.

Before:

54671kbps

Now:

79903kbps

P.S. I can't tell my mate username because I respect his data protection act on here. He want to say big thanks to Openreach engineer for a great work. He never thought his FTTC would get 80 Meg maximum from BT Wholesale estimated his line would get at around 60 Meg because of long distance away from the street cabinet.

FTTC 80 MegFTTC 80 Meg

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Openreach Engineer say I am genius :)

Thanks for the story @goldenfibre, was a good read!

If you or they want to thank an engineer just fill out this formwize and the feedback should make its way to them.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What type of socket was the old BT socket? You shouldn't normally need an Openreach visit just to disconnect some faulty internal extension wiring.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Before as a fault raisedBefore as a fault raisedafter engineer fixed the faultafter engineer fixed the fault

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

@ejs this is the same old BT socket before engineer take this off and replaced new socket.

Old BT SocketOld BT Socket

aliasflorence
Hooked

Hi goldenfibre

great result.  The screengrabs of service details are very interesting. Where are these from?  Are they generated by the OR technician?

thanks,