cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Ports

felix_h97
Hooked

Opening Ports

Hi, i am using a netgear D6220 router. I am trying to open ports 3074 and 28690 in order to play cod WaW. I have added these ports to port forwarding in router settings and in windows 10 firewall. But no luck, still closed/ blocked. 

A friend mentioned that my it looks like my ip is being forwarded through some kind of dns? I am not entirely sure what that all means. Plusnet have said they don't forward through any kind of dns but its strange that that's what it looks like. They also said they don't block any ports but that i should ask on the forums for help!

Any help is appreciated, Thanks. 

UPDATE: after talking to Plusnet, when i type in, My ip, to google it now comes up with a different address, it used to be along the lines of 192.168.... but now starts with 51.9.... I used to have to type in the 192... to get in to router settings but now i have to type in the 51.9... address. 

24 REPLIES 24
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Opening Ports

Check that your PlusNet Firewall is Off https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall&firewallPage=basic (login required) although I thought these days it defaulted to Off. If you have to change it then you will need to disconnect & reconnect your PPPoE session for it to take effect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

felix_h97
Hooked

Plusnet Firewall is off! 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

UPDATE: after talking to Plusnet, when i type in, My ip, to google it now comes up with a different address, it used to be along the lines of 192.168.... but now starts with 51.9.... I used to have to type in the 192... to get in to router settings but now i have to type in the 51.9... address. 

The 192.168... address is the private IP assigned to a device by the router. the 51.9... is the public IP assigned to the router. My Ip will will always show the public IP. When connected wireless or wired to the router you should always be able to access the router via it's private IP ( default is 192.168.0.1 ) If you can't access it via that then it suggests that you may be connected to a neighbours router. Are you using wireless or homeplugs by any chance ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

felix_h97
Hooked

I just used to always connect via the private ip, but it no longer connects to my router. I am definitely connected to my router! I didnt disconnect or anything after talking to plusnet, and since talking to them it hasnt worked. All they said was that they could not help though? didnt think they'd done anything to change any settings! 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd be pretty sure that PN haven't changed any settings. However I'd first suggest rebooting both the router and the PC. If that doesn't fix it then (assuming you're running Windows on the PC ) :-

from a command prompt run ipconfig /all  and see what comes up as the default gateway.

felix_h97
Hooked

Restarted router and computer. When i check my ip through google it has now changed again to something along the lines of  37.152.... 

I ran the cmd, and my default gateway is now 192... however the last number has changed from what it was this morning. But i can log in to the router with it now. My main problem is still opening the ports? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not familiar with the D6220 but looking at the manual ( port forwarding page 238 ) it looks pretty straightforward. Have you assigned a reserved IP address ( page 184 ) to your PC first before configuring the port forwarding ?

felix_h97
Hooked

I have added my computer to a reserved ip, the one its currently on 192.168.0.2 

This has not helped either, when i run a scan of the common ports all of them come up as filtered? is that to be expected? Really can'y figure out why, after adding them in router settings and windows 10 firewall they still aren't open.. Thanks for the help/suggestions so far. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried removing the port forwading and letting UPnP sort it out. Make sure that UPnP is enabled on the router as here https://kb.netgear.com/24306/How-do-I-enable-Universal-Plug-and-Play-on-my-Nighthawk-router ( assuming it's similar for your router )

felix_h97
Hooked

UPnP was already turned on? should i leave that on or try turning it off?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd try the various combinations:-

UPnP - off - port forwarding - on

UPnP - on - portforwarding - on ( already tried ? )

UPnP - on - portforwarding  -off

UPnP - off - portforwarding - off ( that's probably not going to work at all ! )

If that doesn't help then I suspect we're going to have to see if someone with more experience of WaW comes along...

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

with UPNP turned on it should just work - COD I would also make any adjustments it needs to get through the Windows Firewall....

Have you confirmed that the PC is using the address that you've sent up the forwarding to?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SteveA, that's the whole point of UPnP you don't need to do any manual adjustments.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Anonymous .. I know, which is why I'm surprised that discussing opening ports to just play a game is even happening