Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenReach where and when checker updated

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

OpenReach where and when checker updated

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ has been significantly updated to check individual addresses or telephone numbers.
(My exchange is still at Exploring Solutions Sad )
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OpenReach where and when checker updated

Not impressed,  the old version was more accurate !

Entering my telephone number, the new checker says -
Exchange name: Purleigh
Superfast Fibre is in your area but we can't tell by your postcode/number if you can get it right now.
Please contact your communications provider, who can check using your phone number.

WRONG !
  Crazy

• My exchange does NOT have fibre.

• The exchange is not going to be upgraded to fibre or 21CN ADSL2.

• There are no other providers than BT.

• My connection is EXCHANGE ONLY, so I wouldn't get fibre, even if the exchange was fibre enabled.

How can it get it wrong when there are at least four reasons why I can't get a fibre connection.   Crazy

I would be happy with an upgrade to 21CN, but that's not happening either !   Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Don't forget you can have FTTC without the exchange itself being upgraded - they run the fibre all the way from a bigger exchange direct to the cabinet. That's how you can have fibre on 20CN only exchanges.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: purleigh
Entering my telephone number,

What do you get if you use postcode and address? I just tried one of the addresses in The Glebe which has the same postcode as the exchange and it said Evaluating solutions.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using my postcode and address, it does say "Exploring Solutions".
However that doesn't explain why it says "fibre is in your area" and "we can't tell" on a non-fibre exchange and an EO line, when given my phone number, especially as the "BT Broadband Availability Checker" says -
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

"Exploring Solutions" is also likely to be incorrect, as the majority of connections here already achieve the minimum 2Mbps universal service commitment level, so there is no incentive for BT to ever upgrade the exchange, and Essex BDUK are not interested as the number of people who could benefit from a superfast connection is small - because of the limited number of broadband users and the high percentage of "exchange only" lines.
I notice that "Exploring Solutions" result is now the default answer when nothing is happening.  In the previous version of this checker there was a further result option called something like "No Plans" which really meant nothing was going to happen.