Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenReach Modem Keeps Disconnecting?

AndyWarren22
Hooked

OpenReach Modem Keeps Disconnecting?

Hello!
Ever since joining Plusnet the connection has been stable 80% but lately I keep getting disconnects all the time. At first I attributed this to homeplugs in the home, but after resetting them a few times the problem still persists.
The problem again happened tonight (it's definitely becoming a daily occurrence now).
This time I went to my router and it was reading that the OpenReach modem was not supplying it with an IP address, needless to say the OepnReach modem was flashing orange on the back of it.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem is here? A reboot of the OpenReach modem sorted it but I do not want to do this every day.
We're 6 months into an 18 month contract and it seems as though the honeymoon period is over. We're already looking at who to get fibre from next, or even downgrade back to ADSL (at least it was stable)!
Any help would be appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9
bugs4me
Grafter

Re: OpenReach Modem Keeps Disconnecting?

Not sure if this input is going to be of much help but I've used homeplugs with both ADSL and VDSL and they've never caused any problems.
I recently had Fibre installed and the speed was dreadful - using the BT modem and PN2704 router. Okay, I'm a fair way from the cabinet but my download speed is estimated at max 11Mbps whereas it was showing as 4Mbps. The BTOR Engineer - well it was really a shrug of the shoulders.
So I swapped the BT modem and 2704 for a Billion 8800NL which I'd been using since migrating to PN and hey presto, the speed jumped up. So in my case it was the BT modem that was the bottleneck. Some folks don't have a problem with the dual combo whereas others seem to. So it seems to be a case of trial and error and there may be a problem with the BT modem itself. I prefer though just to have one router with integrated VDSL sitting on the shelf rather than the two.
Fortunately, you can purchase the Billion from Amazon UK and if it doesn't improve things then return it for a full refund.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi AndyWarren22.
Tests are showing a profile mismatch on our suppliers side of things.
I'm reporting it now.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyWarren22
Hooked

Hi Adam,
Is the issue specific to me and my connection?
Thanks,
Andy
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: AndyWarren22
We're 6 months into an 18 month contract and it seems as though the honeymoon period is over. We're already looking at who to get fibre from next, or even downgrade back to ADSL (at least it was stable)!

I'm reading that as you thinking it's Plusnet doing things to your connection. Plusnet (or any ISP) can't access your connection in that way, all they can do directly is a Status check - which Adam has obviously done and found an issue affecting your profile - but I wouldn't expect that to affect the connection between you and the Cab. Any problem with your connection would be present whoever the ISP was, and whatever form of xDSL you had.
This time I went to my router and it was reading that the OpenReach modem was not supplying it with an IP address, needless to say the OepnReach modem was flashing orange on the back of it.

The Modem doesn't supply you with an IP address, that is done by Plusnet's network once your PPP(oE) session is authenticated. If the modem were out of sync at anytime, then you wouldn't be able to connect. Which light precisely was flashing?
Does anyone have an idea what the problem is here? A reboot of the OpenReach modem sorted it but I do not want to do this every day.

Nor is that a good idea. The automatic DLM could see it as a dropping connection - and we don't (yet) know if you have high errors or a connection drop, but that and/or rebooting could result in a lowered profile. Discovery of exactly which part of your "connection" (in the widest sense) is giving a problem is the first thing. Which Router do you have, the TG582n or the 2704n?
Ever since joining Plusnet the connection has been stable 80% but lately I keep getting disconnects all the time. At first I attributed this to homeplugs in the home, but after resetting them a few times the problem still persists.

Some brands of Homeplugs can cause interference which might go unnoticed (just lower performance of the xDSL than you might otherwise get) or one or other may have gone faulty.  It would be worth doing some checks at some point (perhaps wait the outcome of Adam's profile query?) just to eliminate them, but that dependant on the answers to the other questions.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just for reference, http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135389.msg1239382.html#msg1239382 probably not applicable, but just in case.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @AndyWarren22,
Any improvement on your side?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@AdamWalker - Fancy taking a look over at the 'Capacity Issues - continued' thread please? I would be very interested in your thoughts on the matter.
AndyWarren22
Hooked

Hi Adam,
Not had much use today so I'll keep you posted over the next couple of days.
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It's showing as being stable for 8+ days so hopefully it's sorted.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team