cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenDns

bossman54

OpenDns

Does PlusNet allow OpenDns Servers to be configured for use on their network ?
7 REPLIES 7
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: OpenDns

Hey there,
Pretty sure you can set whichever DNS servers you prefer to use.
Cheers,
Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES !  Smiley

I've been using OpenDNS on my Plusnet connection for years.
It has been very useful in filtering what my children can access, and logging their attempts to visit website they shouldn't !

On my connection, the OpenDNS servers are both faster and more reliable than the Plusnet DNS server.

Cool
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There is no issue using alternative DNS providers - experiment by changing the DNS on one PC until you're happy.  If you want to use the router as the DNS server for your LAN and OpenDNS as the server the router uses then you'll need to follow the guide here and enter commands on the router telnet interface.
Other routers often have a simple way of changing the DNS server in the web GUI
bossman54

Thanks for your replies... I have done the Telnet commands thing and my router shows as using Opendns, But, the opendns website keeps telling me that I am not using Opendns on their test page. ?? I have set the Ipv4 on my network to use opendns and have flushed my cache and rebooted the router and pc. But it still says Not using opendns on their site ??  Cry
bossman54

Grin Grin SOLVED..    It was my Avast Secure DNS shield stopping it, so I turned it off and hey presto.. Works fine now.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great to see you got it working !  Cool
I'm glad you found the answer, as I wouldn't have known to look for that Avast Secure DNS shield !  Roll_eyes
bossman54

Grin Grin Grin Well I am 60 LOL