cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open reach modem

sbrad54201
Dabbler

Open reach modem

Is there a way to get any information from the open reach modem? Just want to check stats and make sure everything is working ok as my speeds have dropped over the past few months and maybe it's just cross talk.
Cheers
9 REPLIES 9
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Open reach modem

If it's a Huawei HG612, easy. Unlocking it takes a few minutes once we give you the link to unlocked firmware.
If it's an ECI unit, buy an HG612 off eBay! Don't pay a lot extra for an unlocked one, it really is simple.
sbrad54201
Dabbler

Ok, I'll double check which one I have and see about unlocking it. Cheers
sjptd
Grafter

You can also buy a ready unlocked on on ebay fairly cheap if your are uncertain about unlocking (which is very easy).
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

As a guide price, I got my HG612 from Ebay for 10 pounds incl postage. I unlocked it myself. Ones that are already unlocked seem to sell for a lot more, but as Estragon and sjptd stated, unlocking is very easy.
Look for a version 3B unit.
And having access to the stats is extremely useful. Can help with diagnosing a lot of connection and performance issues.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

unlocking is very easy.

Purely out of ineterest, how on earth do you unlock a modem? Huh
sbrad54201
Dabbler

Just did a quick google and found this link which I'll probably use if I can unlock mine.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Just another question, I see a lot of people "nudging" the speeds for their profile. I currently have PN IP profile of 58.4 which is the shows the same when I do a BT check. Is this the highest my line can go?
Estragon
Rising Star

I assume from that yours is an HG612 3B modem.
That kitz link is good, but make sure to use the link under "Update March 2015 - G.INP/Retransmission" to get the firmware. Most of us go for the "with GUI" version, which also allows the more comprehensive but slower to access telnet option.
Nudging the profile means they have found the "Plusnet Current line speed" is well below their BT IP Profile so they ask for it to be set appropriately. It isn't updated in real time when the IP Profile changes, it's an automatic check a few times a day by the Plusnet system, but that update can fail to happen. In general, best to wait a day first.
Depending on your product it should equal the IP Profile or be a fraction below it. 100 or200 kbps. It matters because Plusnet actually use it to control your speed. (Whichever is lower at any given time rules). There's a link to the checker in my sig - it will ask you to log into your account before going to the page.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Thanks 54201, as clear as mud to me!! I'll stay as I am, I have a good connection & although the speed does vary, at least it's reliable.
sbrad54201
Dabbler

Just checked and I've got an ECI unit so no unlocking for me  Undecided
At some point I'll look at getting a decent all in one so it's no biggy though.
Had a look at both BT and plusnet profiles and they are practically the same so looks like thats the highest I can go.