cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting half Minimum Guaranteed Speed (1/3 estimated speed) after upgrading.

Anetty
Hooked

Only getting half Minimum Guaranteed Speed (1/3 estimated speed) after upgrading.

Hello I upgraded my broadband a while ago and the current D/L speed is still showing half the minimum guarenteed speed as shown below and checked with speed testers.

Is it going to go up or is this what can be expected?

Thank you for any help.

Your broadband service

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 54 - 72Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 17 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 48.2Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Only getting half Minimum Guaranteed Speed (1/3 estimated speed) after upgrading.

Current Line Speed (Download): 21Mbps

That's not right!.

Do you have a static IP ? if so then report a speed fault at https://faults.plus.net and tell them that your PlusNet profile is set incorrectly. We've seen a few like this recently , the profile seems to reset back to an ADSL setting following an upgrade to fibre.

It doesn't affect the majority of accounts but if you have a static IP then it WILL limit the download to 21Mb.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anetty
Hooked

Re: Only getting half Minimum Guaranteed Speed (1/3 estimated speed) after upgrading.

Hi thanks for the reply but I dont have a static IP address.

I cant get hold of anyone to talk to. I've tried the link but it wont let you go any further unless you try another Router and how many people have a spare?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Can you post the line stats from the Hub one. Its under troubleshhooting->helpdesk 

Nb redact any personal info , this is public forum

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anetty
Hooked

Hopefully this will make sense

1. Product name:

Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number:  
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 19/02/19
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 05:52:54
6. Data rate: 9999 / 29960
7. Maximum data rate: 12260 / 46499
8. Noise margin: 8.4 / 11.2
9. Line attenuation: 20.8 / 16.1
10. Signal attenuation: 20.5 / 15.9
11. Data sent/received: 1.8 GB / 69.9 GB
12. Broadband username:  
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:  
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address:  
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

From your stats ;

6. Data rate: 9999 / 29960
7. Maximum data rate: 12260 / 46499

Line 6 upload shows you are not on Fibre Extra, but standard Fibre.

The upload suggests you line is banded.

Line 7 suggests your line quality is quite poor, or you do not have a filtered master socket and your internal wiring is not letting you get the best speeds.

Anetty
Hooked

Shame, it’s a relatively new build property 10-15yrs so I would have thought it’d be pretty decent wiring. Is there a way to check this so I know it’s the actual problem and is there a way to check if the other properties are the same or just mine? How do I ask plusnet about it though and more importantly why am I still on standard fibre? My final questions are is 21Mbs the fastest I can get on my line and will plusnet cancel/downgrade my recent upgrade which is costing around £10-12 a month more than before?

Thank you for all the help so far
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Shame, it’s a relatively new build property 10-15yrs so I would have thought it’d be pretty decent wiring.

Not necessarily, especially if you've got extension sockets. Often they are installed by the builders who really don't understand how telephone sockets should be wired for the best broadband performance.

To try and establish if your internal wiring might be the problem:-

1) do you have a filtered master socket ?. This will have separate DSL and Phone sockets.

2) do you have any extension phone sockets ?

3) is your router connected to the master socket ?

4) do you have phones plugged in to any of the extensions ? and If your master socket isn't the filtered type (i.e only one socket) are they plugged in using a filter ?

5) does removing the master socket faceplate to reveal the test socket disconnect all the extensions?

If you're unsure what type of sockets you have, then post some photos

Anetty
Hooked

It’s a filtered socket, the router is plugged into the master socket, no extensions, no phones plugged into it.
How do I check with plusnet themselves about my service though if they don’t pick up the phone, no email, no online chat only forums or twitter which I don’t use. Seems pretty ridiculous seeing as customer service is how they market themselves and the reason I went with them.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

How do I check with plusnet themselves about my service though if they don’t pick up the phone, no email, no online chat only forums or twitter which I don’t use.

Yes, support is a bit short at the moment with people having to work from home. Staff do frequent these forums and will pick up posts. However priority is being given to people who don't have service at all.

An initial look at your stats would indicate that the line is 'banded' due to the perceived error rate. However the downstream sync of 29960 is not at the top of a band and therefore it doesn't look like banding is the primary cause of the lack of speed.

Can you remove the faceplate of the master socket and connect the router, using a filter, to the test socket, then report the helpdesk stats again to see if that has changed the downstream sync. It has been known for the faceplates to be faulty. Support would ask you to do this anyway as part of the fault diagnosis procedure.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

@Anetty wrote:

..........I've tried the link but it wont let you go any further unless you try another Router and how many people have a spare?

I have a known poor quality line and you can see what is expected from your line HERE

The Hub One seems to work well on good lines, my son gets quite outstanding speeds with the cabinet only acroos the road from his house.  If you can contact support they will open a Ticket and print a full report of your connection. You have to be persistent!

I was so frustrated I did buy another router (Home Hub 6 from eBay for under £10) and although the improvemnt is not dramatic down it has trebled my upstream speed.