cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting ADSL speeds on my 76/19 fibre connection

DanManchester

Only getting ADSL speeds on my 76/19 fibre connection

Hello all,
Not sure what's going on but in the last couple of days (evenings actually!) have noticed that my speeds have dropped to what seems like a crawl!
I'm on the unlimited fibre package and until recently been very happy with the speeds etc.

Any ideas.advice please? Nothing has changed at my end..same laptop/pc. using BT Homehub 5 connected to the white OR router.
Thanks, Dan.
8 REPLIES 8
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Only getting ADSL speeds on my 76/19 fibre connection

Quote from: DanManchester
using BT Homehub 5 connected to the white OR router.

One thing you can try, to rule out the OR modem, is to connect the HH5 directly to the BT socket, as it has a built-in VDSL modem, so you don't need the two boxes.
If everything goes back to normal, then it's the modem that's at fault, however with a HH5 you don't need it.
If you are going to try that, best to wait until daylight hours, and before swapping over, go in to the HH5 interface and drop your connection.
DanManchester

Thanks for that, will try tomorrow.
Probably should have mentioned that I was using the VDSL socket on the BTHH5 until 2 or 3 weeks ago, The HH5 started to lose connection every night for no reason I could fathom, and googling around a few forums seemed to suggest that a recent firmware update (Jan 2015) was the culprit and using the white openreach modem solved the nightly disconnects - which it did!
I think I'll try the first suggestion then if that doesn't improve things will connect up using the Plusnet router to rule out that the HH5 may be going faulty.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Might be better to try the Plusnet router first, as you won't need to resynch to connect it up: you can leave the modem switched on.
You could also try a PPPoE connection directly to the modem. http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/ shows the instructions for Windows XP but it should be simple enough to work out the requirements for any other OS.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Testing isn't showing anything wrong with the connection.
Your sync speed is around 67mbps so you should be getting better then what you currently are.
Have the tests been ran over a wired or wireless connection?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
DanManchester

Thanks for the suggestions guys - still something not right - I just don't know where the fault lies...
This morning connected the Plusnet router to the OR modem (without disconnecting the OR so it didn't need to resync) and all seemed well according to speedtests - but webpages, all my favourite links were painfully slow at opening, often timing out and I'd have to refresh a few times before connecting to website page.
Speedtest on the OR/Plusnet router at approx 6pm:

By this time I'd had enough of the slow/timing out of webpages refusing to load that I decided to fire up the BTHH5 again using its VDSL port and ditching both the OR/Plusnet router...and for a while everything zipped back into superfast life! Brilliant!  Smiley
Speedtest at 9pm ish:

And then...Speedtest at 10.30pm  Sad

Which brings me back to where I noticed this all starting a few nights ago...speeds dropping in the evenings and no idea why?
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have the low evening speed thing too. I think I've seen a few threads about it. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136493.msg1205561.html#new
sjptd
Grafter

Are you running wired or wireless?  (asked earlier but not answered yet)
DanManchester

Quote from: sjptd
Are you running wired or wireless?  (asked earlier but not answered yet)

Sorry - missed that, the speedtests posted are wireless on laptop but I do see similar drops in speeds at the same time on my desktop which is ethernet cable connected.