cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 2Mb/s download on xbox one? (Unlimted Fibre Extra)

FIXED
Clumsy
Dabbler

Only 2Mb/s download on xbox one? (Unlimted Fibre Extra)

Hey, earlier today I was getting my max speed 76mMb/s. Now i'm trying to update a game on my Xbox one, and only getting 2Mb/s max. I did a speed test from my computer and it shows 75/Mb/s. Any idea what's going on?

I have port forwarded the xbox one on the router, the NAT is open.

10 REPLIES 10
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Only 2Mb/s download on xbox one? (Unlimted Fibre Extra)

What is it you're trying to download? Is it a game or an update?

It could quite easily be that speeds are throttled by the server you're downloading from, so more people can download at once.

Clumsy
Dabbler

Hey, 

Yeah i'm trying to download an update for the game Doom. It's possible that it could be the server but I find it weird that ealier I was downloading games and updates and getting around 70Mb/s everytime. I hope I haven't been throttled as I Pay for Unlimted Extra for the advertised truly no download/upload limits/No throttling.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I guess it is possible that the game server only allows people to download from them at a certain speed? I know that sometimes Steam does this when a new game is released to try and help manage traffic on their network.

Does this happen on any other games/updates?

Clumsy
Dabbler

It didn't used too. It downloads slowly with other things like Steam & other Xbox One games/updates now.

Clumsy
Dabbler

Update it seems to be downloading at 70ish Mb/s again Smiley

JonnyFu
Grafter

@Clumsy did you do anything to fix it has I have noticed the same with both our Xbox ones, they did download at 40Mb/s which is about the max on my line, but this week they never get above half that download speed almost like its being rate limited.

ghos7
Grafter

are you using plusnet hub? router is a pos. i changed router and downloads have been fast.
JonnyFu
Grafter

@ghos7 No using a different router, as I say its been fine up until this week, just wondered if Plusnet had started throttling downloads to resolve the packet loss issue.

Clumsy
Dabbler

Hey JonnyFu,

No not really. The only thing I did was leave the Router disconnected for a day. I'm using a Plusnet Router.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Fix
PlusNET wouldn't throttle to reduce packet loss, as it is they offer up to 76mb. That's 4mb slower than my lines connected at (80/1mb)

Sounds like it's actually Microsoft throttling users. I've noticed on PS4 when downloading a game update it's not exactly that fast yet on a speed test i max my line (76mb)

I use a BT hub 5 (type B)
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up