Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing issue

pidleynet
Dabbler

Ongoing issue

Good morning

I have an ongoing problem and wondered whether anyone else has had a similar issue:

My fibre router keeps 'hanging'. Blue light is on, but there is no internet connection (wifi or cabled). Router has been replaced and this still happens. It can be stable for a good while but then will happen 3 or 4 times in a day.

I raised a fault and was told there's no issue with the line etc., and to try disconnecting items that are attached to the broadband. We've got to the point where nothing it turned on any more until it's needed and it still happens - last night only 2 phones were connected. Broadband was working when we went out and when we returned home it had 'hung'. Again, blue light on router showing but no internet.

I have a secondary router that's set up as a slave, and is CAT5 wired to the main router. That's all that's connected now.

Any help appreciated, otherwise the only router is to look at changing suppliers.

19 REPLIES 19
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Ongoing issue

Hi there, have you connected directly to the first router with your devices and eliminated the secondary one from being an issue? -Chris

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pidleynet
Dabbler

When it's 'hanging' I have tried connecting to the main router, yes, and I get no internet connection. Unplugging everything (including the slave router) makes no difference. What I can't understand (and I don't think the PlusNet fault team did either) if why the blue light is still on indicating all is well.....

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do you have a record of when this is happening? Our connection logs are showing a few disconnections, but not many at all:

Connection logs

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pidleynet
Dabbler

It happened several times yesterday. If it's a disconnection, then why is the blue light still showing and nothing apart from a router re-start will clear it?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hmm, have you tried a factory reset of your router?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pidleynet
Dabbler

Yes, and a completely new router.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Can you access the routers IP address when this happens?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pidleynet
Dabbler

I think not. I'm sure I tried this but it didn't connect

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

When it next happens can you try it?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
pidleynet
Dabbler

Will do. I expect it will be today at some point. Cheers

pidleynet
Dabbler

Was locked up this morning. Could connect to the router via IP and it showed as connected to broadband. Dis-connected and then re-connected from the hub home page. Showed connected but no broadband. Blue light on. Only thing that will clear was router re-start

pidleynet
Dabbler

Locked again just now. Had laptop connected to the router via network cable. Router showed connected but no broadband on browser. Network indicator showing limited connection - no internet connection.

Not much hair left now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Does this happen using a different device?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pidleynet
Dabbler

yes. Have tried 3 different routers now