Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing and recuring fault

smithcomputers
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Ongoing and recuring fault

I am hoping someone from PlusNet will have a look at this for me, I have a fibre fault that has been ongoing now a few months but when they test the line they can see no error, the problem is when it works it works well but I can't use the landline as as soon as you answer a call or dial out the fibre disconnects, we have plusnet TV and plusnet phone with fibre. If you check question #152238062 you can see one of the attempts made to fix the problem although I have had 2 or 3 faults this year with the line which has improved the problem but not fixed this problem. They fixed a couple of problems but this one persists and it is getting worse. They never seem to investigate the actual problem with it disconnecting all I get is the fibre is performing better than it should and nothing about the phone making it disconnect. At one point they said I should only be getting 1 meg which is rubbish as you would not have let me order plusnet  TV which I have had for more than 2 years now which I am happy with apart from it not working every time the phone rings. I should not have to tell everyone to only phone my mobile because the landline kills my fibre and everytime it does kill the fibre it comes back on at a silly speed like 2meg so the TV still doesn't work until I turn off the router and wait 5mins then switch back on and it all works again. I have tried both a cordless phone and a corded phone and am now on the third router including the one you supplied, a BT hub 5b and now a BT hub 6 all with the exact same problem and the last time an engineer came out he replaced the faceplate and the rear piece of the phone socket, I only have the master socket and no others. Please could someone at plusnet look into this as I am more than happy with the TV and fibre I even just signed up to a new contract but it is getting unfit for purpose if I can't watch tv and answer the phone or even browse the net. Sorry for going on a bit but I just don't know what else to do.

Many thanks in advance Mike...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from attachments in a public forum.

9 REPLIES 9
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Ongoing and recuring fault

There are several things that may be causing this, the first few are things that you can check out.

1) It could be a faulty micro-filter.

Do you have a BT master socket with a filtered VDSL face plate that has separate connections for broadband and phone.

It will look like this. https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/mk3vdslfitted.JPG

If you don't have a filtered face plate, then do you have a micro filter fitted to each phone socket that has a phone or router connected to it?

If not you need to fit a micro-filter to  each phone socket that something is connected to, be it Sky box, cordless phone, corded phone, router etc..

If you have micro filters fitted to each socket that has something connected to it, do you have any spare ones that you could use to swap out? I would swap each filter one at a time and ring the landline from my mobile to see if the connection drops, if it stops dropping when you replace a particular micro-filter, then you know that one is duff and the problem is solved.

2) It could be caused by your internal extension wiring.

Does your master socket have a split face plate, where you can remove the bottom half to access the test socket. If its one of the modern ones it will be the same size as a 13 amp single socket with a horizontal split.

Remove the bottom face plate, this should expose the test socket. Connect a micro-filter to the test socket and plug the router and your a phone into the micro-filter. Let the router sync up and reconnect and then ring the landline from your mobile. If it doesn't disconnect the broadband then you know its an issue with you're internal extension wiring.

3) There could be a high resistance fault on the line and when the phone rings the extra ringing current breaks down the resistance and causes the line to fail. You could  try  a quiet line test by dialing 17070 and selecting option 2. If you can hear any crackling or pops then you should raise a voice fault with Plusnet.

If none of this applies I would get Plusnet to run a voice line test on your line on the off chance it picks something up.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

I've just checked your account and can see that engineers have cleared a line fault for us.

Can you let us know if that's still a problem please?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
smithcomputers
Grafter

Hi Adam, first thank you for looking into this for me, no the fault is still there and It has disconnected already this morning so I have attached a document with the connection stats from it straight after a disconnection, as you will see it connects very slow and with a massive noise margin but after a restart all is fine again. There is noise on the line sometimes but not always but the last engineer that came out said it needed to be reported as a broadband fault and not a phone fault?. One of the engineers did fit a new VDSL mk3 faceplate but I have also tried in the socket behind with a separate filter but it makes no difference and I only have the master socket. Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

Mike..

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No worries, it would be a good idea to report a broadband fault over at http://faults.plus.net

Drop us a reply back here when you have and we'll get things moving in the right direction.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
smithcomputers
Grafter

Hi Adam and thanks again, I have reported the fault on the link you provided.

Cheers

Mike..

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It looks like the troubleshooter has reported the fault to our suppliers.

Our faults team will be in touch once we have more info, it should be within 72 hours.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just wanted to follow things up with you so I've added an update to the fault ticket for your attention.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
smithcomputers
Grafter

Hi Adam thanks for your help, I have replied to the ticket with times for the engineer as requested.

Thanks

Mike..

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just made the booking ad sent you an update. I've reset my reminder for after the visit so we can get things followed up ASAP.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team