cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing Fibre issues - is it my router?

mathewjknott
Dabbler

Ongoing Fibre issues - is it my router?

I have been having some ongoing issues with my fibre connection but before getting an engineer out I want to make sure its not an issue with my router as I am using a custom ASUS router, not the Plusnet one.

The issues I am having range from slow connection speed (see attached) to loss of connection. When I do lose connection I am not able to connect to my routers web portal either so that leads me to believe it may be related to the router and not just the connection. I did have a test done not long ago that said an engineer needs to come but I cancelled that for now while I get my router sorted as don't fancy a £60 charge if it is just the router.

Would it be possible to get a new router sent out? I have continued my contract with Plus.net since 2017 so its not a new contract and I can not locate the router from 2017 when I signed up.

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Ongoing Fibre issues - is it my router?

@mathewjknott  Is your router the Asus DSL AC68U? If it is see this thread ..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/High-SNR-Margin-caused-by-Asus-DSL-AC68u/m-p/1776120#M... 

It has the worst ever modem chip in it and should only be used as a router with an external modem.

mathewjknott
Dabbler

No its a DSL-AC55U so maybe the predecessor of the AC68U.

Ill check out that thread thanks.

mathewjknott
Dabbler

If it helps I have attached a screenshot of my DSL Log

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@mathewjknott  Yes I believe that earlier model also has the poor Mediatek modem chipset which doesn't work at all well on Openreach FTTC services.

From your router stats it looks like your downstream speed is banded at a fixed 20Mbps. So not looking good. You could try asking Plusnet for a DLM reset but I think you will still have problems with that modem.

mathewjknott
Dabbler

Can you recommend a good wireless router for home use with 4 gigabit rj45 ports?

What is strange is that my speed used to be much better, but over time it slowly got slower and then recently its all over the place.

https://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=659fdab0fe710103d3c65759fb945942