Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Year of Dropouts

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: One Year of Dropouts

It does sound like you've possibly got two things going on here...?

The first being the connection from the router to the world is dropping or slow or both.

The second, possibly due to the first, is the computer to the router is losing the connection.

When the network error pops up on the computer, what are the router lights doing?

If the lights are in 'disco mode' and the error pops up, then it does sound like the computer knows the internet connection has dropped.

I recently has an issue where my computer had remembered too many BT Home Hubs and Plusnet Hub One connections, so you too could also be seeing this. It's the explaining how to check and fix I'm worried about, in case there's a communication 'hiccup' as it could lead to you losing the connection.

What operating system are you using - I might then be able to assist...?

jim13
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

It's a real puzzle. Mostly the blue light stays on when my connection at my laptop goes down and my wife can still access MyView in the other room

Occasionally I get the orange, green, blue sequence on the Hub One when MyView also goes down.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the whole thing.

My laptop is in a room just 10 metres away from the hub and I'm using the plug in extenders that came with the hub. I use ethernet pretty well all of the time as the wi-fi signal is very weak.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Ah, the clue is in the details.

You're using PLA's (powerline adapters / ethernet plugs). For reasons unknown, from time to time, I have to reset mine. They just 'drop' the connection. Never found the cause...:(

Although it may involve sitting in the same room as your good lady, but have your tried using the laptop near the router, avoiding the use of the PLAs? (ear plugs optional;))

I think you need to 'tinker' with them first - google will reveal all - and then get them working first. Then relocate yourself back under the stairs or in the pantry

The 'disco lights' is an issue that, assuming you're in the test point on the master socket, plusnet need to address.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @jim13,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Having ran a few tests on your service today there is nothing that would suggest a underlying fault, however, I can see the drops in your RADIUS connection log. The next step would be to remove your plug-in adapters from your local network, and pop your router into the master socket and run a wired connection test. Info on getting into your test socket can be found here.

Please let us know how you get on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes powerline adapters aren't that good. For a little peace of mind of not having to reset them sometimes if you have any computers that are normally near the hub one then you can just plug them in directly to it with an ethernet cable. Those computers won't suffer from any plugin adapter or wireless problems, but will suffer like anything else when the internet drops.

It does sound like your plugin adapters in particular are a bit shaky sometimes, but not the wireless. If you lose both at the same time that should point to the internet dropping. If you lose one but not the other then that points to the one with the problem playing up at that particular time.

If the powerline adapters seem worse than wireless, you can switch some of your stuff to wireless if you want (the ones that have wireless anyway). That should stop things being as much of a nuisance until you get your internet problem sorted, which plusnet support will help you with.

jim13
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The mystery thing is - wireless and ethernet drop at the same time. but the blue ight on the hub stays on.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @jim13,

That is strange, did you manage to try and connect to your test socket and monitor the connection for a little while with the adapters disconnected?

I can see from another thread we have placed an order to correct the banding on your account - hopefully once this completes you'll see an improvement in the speed.

Thanks.