Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Year of Dropouts

jim13
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

One Year of Dropouts

I suppose I should hold a party.

My Hub One arrived shortly after my line was upgraded to fibre. It started dropping out on the first day and continues to fail about ten times a day, every day.

I reported the fault, carefully undertook all the remedial steps suggested, all to no avail. I tried pulling out the ethernet cable and just used wi fi. It didn't make any difference except that in between connection loss the wi fi signal was desperately weak and line speed dropped from 24-26Mbs to around 10Mbs, sometimes less.

With wi-fi switched off and flying solo on ethernet nothing changes except the download speed reverts to 24 or more Mbs. The dropouts continue as before with the all too familiar "resetting network adapter" fix restoring things on a temporary basis.

Why should the network adapter constantly need reset? Why do I get messages saying there is a break of some sort in the wiring from or before the router when there isn't?

I have scratched my head over this so often I will soon need a Crown Topper.

Worse, my contract has another year to run, so attempting to escape could be expensive.

Does anyone know if purchasing a different make of router would help?

Meanwhile I'll send my Hub One a birthday card in appreciation of the fun and games it has provided over the past twelve months.

21 REPLIES 21
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: One Year of Dropouts

I do believe that if a provider can't fix a fault within 30 days then you can walk away penalty free. The info can be found on the CISAS website.
jim13
Rising Star

Thanks Shep,

I'm not too fussed about a new internet supplier. Plusnet is the best in my (very rural) area and anyway all of the providers use the same BT lines.

I just wondered if I could help myself by purchasing a new router before i do anything drastic and fall into the clutches of BT (been there!) or Talk Talk (don't want to go there).

I would have bought one already but my missus says she will kill me if i "buy any more useless gadgets"

Wimmin !

Shep41
Seasoned Pro

You can never have to many useless gadgets 😉.
I wouldn't buy a new router, I'd push plusnet to get the issue sorted out. Even if it means getting in contact with plusnet everyday.. Try popping your phone number into the DSL checker and see what speeds you should be expecting.
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com
jim13
Rising Star

True.

I'm a gadget addict !

Shep41
Seasoned Pro

Welcome to the club👍
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jim13 - This network adapter you have wouldn’t happen to be a Killer device would it. I have encountered this device before just dumping the LAN and trashing the network as a whole. The only way I could ‘fix’ it was to replace the Network Adapter and disable it in the BIOS.

You'll be able to see what the device type is using Device Manager assuming you are using Windows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I'm shocked you've put up with it for so long. It's odd you'd have to reset things, as usually the ip given to you by the router should work even if you get line drops then when it reconnects you should be good.

Maybe check with support, if they suspect a faulty router they might send another one. In the meantime check windows update to see if there's a newer driver version for your network adapter.

jim13
Rising Star

Thanks Mook

I wouldn't recognise a killer device if I found one in my pocket.

Unfortunately, switching Network adapters and such is a bit beyond my ken

If I tinker with anything, it dies, never to work again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough, in that case best to let support run through things with you. A local tech support bod could check it or change the adapter for you if it really comes to it, but I'd suggest trying the free option first Smiley

jim13
Rising Star

Being a stoic I'm quite good at suffering !

I haven't asked for a new router simply because the advice I got from support last year was "the problem appears to be with the service suppliers (Open Reach I presume) in your area, who are working on it."

Actually there are Open Reach linemen popping up out of manholes like meerkats around here, but god knows what they're doing.

jim13
Rising Star

Thanks Mook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough @jim13 from the symptoms you provided it sounded all too familiar to me, but I see from this post that the issue is on the network. But for what it is worth, and you are interested, if you are running Windows 10 then right click on the Start icon on the toolbar this will present a menu of options and from the list select Device Manager.

When it opens you’ll see a list of all of the hardware on your PC like this:

Device Manager
Assuming it is closed click the Network adapter entry in the list and if you see a device with Killer in the description then you have one of the devices I was referring to. On this machine my adapter is Intel as you can see above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

They are probably upgrading things to give more people high speed internet. I think sometimes these works do disrupt things but since you've had it like that for a year, then you can't blame the meerkats if they're more seasonal. But yes it sounds like you have network issues as mentioned by Mook, so it may be your actual internet connection is fine.

jim13
Rising Star

Mine is just listed as Qualcomm Atheros Network Adapter