Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Fibre Unlimited broadband, linespeed dropped from 65 to 24Mb

FIXED
Smeghead
Fixes: 1

On Fibre Unlimited broadband, linespeed dropped from 65 to 24Mb

I've been on the Unlimited Fibre broadband package for a few years now (3-4 at least), but I've just noticed that my speed has dropped considerably from a normal 65-70Mb down to 24mb. I've even checked on the site for the current line speed and it's set to 26.

Why is this? Is there something new to the fair use policy? I've used 200GB this month, but this has happened before and I've never noticed such a drastic drop.

Can anybody suggest anything? Also, where do you go to ask a question to Plusnet directly? I cannot find the link to Ask a question, only close opened questions? Isn't there an email address I can use?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: On Fibre Unlimited broadband, linespeed dropped from 65 to 24Mb

Hi there, 

I've just been running diagnostics and they aren't indicating any obvious problems. 

Could you try following the checks here next please? https://goo.gl/tu2WWu

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Smeghead

Hello,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I do not have a landline phone to test for a dial tone, but I have gone through the diagnostics you indicated, but to no avail.

I have checked the wires on my router, nothing has changed. I have swapped ethernet cables and ports, nothing changed. I checked different computers and wifi, ditto.

Like I said, I haven't done anything different for the past 3-4 years, only now my max speed has dropped to a third.

It must be something out of my control, such as the exchange or fibre cabinet.

Do I need to have an engineer come out, or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

I can see we've raised a fault as our tests have now found a external issue.

Fingers crossed once this is fixed you'll see your speeds increase.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Smeghead

Thank you for sending out the engineer. There was a fault at the roadside cabinet which was now fixed. The engineer who came did say that my speed would increase if Plusnet were to send me the latest router as the old one they sent me (over 3 years ago) was no longer supported - and with the problems with WPA wireless security in the news again - this would only get worse.

Thank you