cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Open Reach modems quietly Hobled by Plus.net?

ukdelinquent
Dabbler

Old Open Reach modems quietly Hobled by Plus.net?

Just wondering if anyone's Huawaei Open reach VDSL modem magically stopped working recently? The reason I ask is on the 15th Plusnet performed speed increase from the 30 mb to 70 mb extra. Magically no service and no modem sync. After several annoying calls, 2 BT visits in was pronounced by the second BT engineer my Modem was dead. Ok fair enough it was OLD! Cue Plusnet Hub One.......I wont post my comments on this device, but all you need to know is it doesn't support bridged mode thus rendering my expensive firewall doing the PPPOE dialing useless. Either way I was back online after reconfiguring every device in the house to the new Wifi Network. Eventually this device drove me mad so ordered a reconditioned Open Reach modem from Ebay (two in fact as I like them). At this atge I am not plugging the second one in until I get to the bottom of this. So I plugged the first one in to the dsl and wan port of my firewall, PPPOE worked straight away and I was online, Sweet! (I thought) 5 minutes later this new modem was not connecting, PPPOE was failing and no solid DSL light. Now I know its a reconditioned unit so that would be a fair shout thats its duff, but 2 units failing in 2 weeks, with one connecting and then failing yet the stupid "One Hub" connects everytime. Call me paranoid but has PlusNet done something on the network to try and phase out these modems?

8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Old Open Reach modems quietly Hobled by Plus.net?

We still have a lot of customers using the Openreach modem so to do anything (I'm not even sure it's possible) to stop them working would cost us a large amount of money in sending replacement hardware out. Have you checked for other commonalities between the devices such as where they are plugged in, the DSL cable in use, power cable etc?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ukdelinquent
Dabbler

unfortunately - I have checked all the obvious things, rebooted face plate etc.......Hence the reason for my post as its freaky weird!

ukdelinquent
Dabbler

Can I get someone to check the modem under ticket 149763570 please?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure what you mean by check the modem? We're unable to check Openreach modems, they aren't our hardware so we have very little we can do.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ukdelinquent
Dabbler

I mean if you see it trying to sync your end

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Call me paranoid but has PlusNet done something on the network to try and phase out these modems?

No, but BT have in the past rolled out various firmware updates to them and the fibre cabinets. There were definitely some problems with ECI modems and G.INP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@ukdelinquent wrote:

I mean if you see it trying to sync your end

The circuit is in sync... Huh

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

There's no active PPP session though because the login you're using to connect is being rejected by our radius server. Can you try logging into your router settings and connect using your account password?

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Mine is still going strong. I have a Billion 8800 waiting to take over the xDSL duties but so far the OR modem is hanging on nicely.