Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh dear... new router is fubar

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Oh dear... new router is fubar

PN,
As you know, we've now switched to fibre.
You arranged for an engineer to come out and do whatever it is he needs to do. Yes he turned up today to do it.
Unfortunately you apparently forgot to get the phone line sorted first... so the poor chap had to hang around waiting for his comrade to come from the other side of the county to sort that out as he couldn't do anything for us in that respect.
So.. he's got that sorted... modem in, fibre router in....
We don't have the desk setup yet with the desktop so as a temporary measure i've been using the netbook with the mobile phones 3G connection using its built in wifi hotspot. Now thats two different RF frequencies in use and with junior upstairs being fried by it i thought to myself i'd switch to the PN router and use just one.

Password that is on the card (and back of the router) was rejected. Then rejected on my mobile phone and then rejected on the other laptop.

So PN.. would it be possible for you to supply us with a fibre router that actually allows incoming wifi connections, accepts the password and actually assigns an IP address? - Pretty please?
Thank you..
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
23 REPLIES 23
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Oh dear... new router is fubar

Have you accessed the router via the web interface (wired) and set up the wifi to accept new devices
I can't remember the exact details as I don't use it anymore
I assume that you used the wifi password to connect or try to connect the devices and not the router password
Finally have you checked the wifi password from the web interface
sirhc
Dabbler

So PN.. would it be possible for you to supply us with a fibre router that actually allows incoming wifi connections, accepts the password and actually assigns an IP address? - Pretty please?

Good luck with that one  Cheesy , mine accepts my modified wifi password and dishes out an IP address but doesn't have any connectivity or sits trying to join the network and then complains of failed authentication unless I assign a static IP on the LAN and register it against the MAC address of the wireless device on this page.
It's a bit of a bodge but at least it got the traffic moving over wifi. Change the wifi password and give this a shot?
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
Have you accessed the router via the web interface (wired) and set up the wifi to accept new devices

Been into the admin panel yes... however there wasn't such an option - just one for wifi being enabled which had a tick in the box.
I assume that you used the wifi password to connect or try to connect the devices and not the router password

Yup, wifi password used..
Finally have you checked the wifi password from the web interface

Yes.. it shows exactly the same password.. but still doesn't accept it  Huh
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

You are connecting to your router and not a neighbours ?
7up
Community Veteran

Hmm well i thought it was working... turns out to be my phone the netbook was connected to  Roll_eyes
So... plusnet are you going to help?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As above, you're definitely trying to connect to *your* router?
Have you tried changing the wifi password to something else?
Have you tried changing the SSID to something else?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/plusnet-2704n-wireless.shtml
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Could you PM me with the SSID for the wireless? I've checked what I can from here but just want to see if it's the same one it should be.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
7up
Community Veteran

Strange thing... now my partner is on the phone to plusnet it's suddenly allowing wifi connections.
Almost as if someone silently logged in and fixed something...
Routers don't just suddenly decide to randomly work after two days of not working... do they.
7up
Community Veteran

Still working but i wouldn't mind an explanation as to how it suddenly started working randomly after two days.
We tried four devices.. none of them could connect.. but they all saved the wifi key. After two days each one connected automatically and has been assigned an IP address.
PN if you logged in and fixed something thats fine but please at least tell me so that i know its fixed and not a random buggy router that will play up again.
Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks, got your PM.
To make any changes to the router requires access to a system that only a very small number of us have (the same one I use for firmware updates) so I'm confident that this wasn't changed. As it's working the best bet is to keep an eye on it and let us know if it stops again 😕
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
7up
Community Veteran

Ok thanks... definitely odd though that it just randomly started working.. not seen that behaviou before Shocked
7up
Community Veteran

Router just dropped wifi connection and vanished from the scans for a few minutes.
It did come back eventually but that drop shouldn't happen.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've arranged for a new router to be sent out for you, along with a returns bag for the current one.
I hope the new router fixes the issue for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
7up
Community Veteran

Thanks Harry, it seems to be a daily thing as has happened again tonight... aswell as last night (and the night before).
I was a bit concernedthe first time but just assumed it was a one off (even though the wifi didn't work for 2 days and then randomly decided to work!).
All very odd...