cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-Peak Traffic Shaping on P2P - WHY?

GazProm

Off-Peak Traffic Shaping on P2P - WHY?

I am on the 38MB Fibre service I am noticing that my torrent downloads are capped at around 2.50MB/s but I notice I'm able to download large files via a browser sometimes at ~4.50MB/s and that is at any time of day.
I understand you do have traffic shaping measures and I am not arguing about that but I never get anything above this even in off peak times (i..e now).
Why are Torrent bandwidth caps not lifted/increased in off peak times?
I am not really using other web services so my full bandwidth should be available and I do not need any bandwidth management services. If I need some I am highly computer literate and can just install a program to do this so don't need Plusnet to do this for me. I feel like I am not getting the full service that I am paying for.
Can someone please tell me why this is implemented like this or whether there is something wrong at the PlusNet end which has not been switched on?
4 REPLIES 4
gofaster
Rising Star

Re: Off-Peak Traffic Shaping on P2P - WHY?

It *isn't* implemented like that.
Please be careful with your units - your service is up to 38Mb/s (Mega bits per second) which will give around 4.5 MB/s (mega bytes per second) maximum.
Does your P2P client display peers and a speed graph? If the speed graph has a flat line at 2.5 MB/s then this might indicate capping by PlusNet but if it fluctuates then it is probably just a matter of being limited by the upload speed of your peers.
AndyH
Grafter

Can you try a high seeded file like this http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads and report the speed you get back?
GeordieMark
Grafter

4.5MB/s sounds about right for a 38Mbps connection (taking into account overheads, ip profile lower than sync etc)
Xup
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Gaz... gateway hop that will sort it for you....does the same to my connection, I just gateway hop and back to 4.7MB/s