cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd request?

Morgan2101

Odd request?

Happy as I am with Plusnet, those lovely openreach people have finally strung up fibre to the pole outside my house. The BT website now says I can get 900 lovely Mb/s which is hard to resist, but Vodafone are offering 900 for £50 with 6 months free, VERY hard to resist. My question is, I still have around 9 months left of my Plusnet contract, could there be any way that I could still pay Plusnet for the remainder of my contact, but have my service from Vodafone instead? Cancel plusnet but still pay them by monthly direct debit?

I know it's A REALLY long shot, but if I don't ask, I will never know. I have a big family and 33Mb just doesn't cut it anymore, I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to laugh publicly at my suggestion.

Steve.
5 REPLIES 5
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Odd request?

Hi @Morgan2101
As Vodafone would be providing the service over FTTP and you are happy to pay Plusnet why not simply have both for 9 months?
If Vodafone want to provide an landline phone service, let them with a new number.
If you want to keep your existing landline number, let the Plusnet contract run down, then terminate the Plusnet service by moving the landline number to a SIP service.
https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/tour
Regards
Richard

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If Vodafone want to provide an landline phone service, let them with a new number.

If you go down that route, watch them like a hawk!

I tried to do exactly that last year with an office move. Prior to the move , we had both Zen & Vodafone lines at the old office. I'd had Zen transfer their service and activate an existing line at the new office whilst we continued with a Vodafone line at the old office. Once the move was completed I asked Vodafone to move their service, being VERY careful to tell them it needed a new line install. Never in any correspondence had they been given the number of the Zen line and since we use a voip pbx, the landline is not used or published on the company website. Even so, somehow they managed to find the line and try to take it over! First we heard was from Zen telling us someone was taking over the line. We told them to stop it! and told Vodafone again that they needed a new line. They didn't seem to understand it and tried again to takeover the line. Eventually Zen dropped the ball and Vodafone managed to get the voice line taken over. Somehow, fortunately the broadband stayed on, although neither us or Zen could work out how. Fair play to Zen, they held up their hands, admitted it was their fault and got the line back quickly without any broadband interruption.

At that point, I told Vodafone to cancel all orders and we were never going to deal with them again!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Morgan2101

Hi @RichardB
This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of doing. Using the money I wouldn't be paying to Vodafone for the first six months to pay for the Plusnet service I no longer need.

I will get on the phone to Vodafone tomorrow.

Steve.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Morgan2101  I think you misunderstand the situation, you don't get anything for nothing. If you have FTTP from vodafone and FTTC from Plusnet you will have to pay for both services. It would be cheaper to cancel the Plusnet service and pay early termination fees.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@RealAleMadrid
Vodafone are offering 6 months free on new 24 month FTTP contracts!

However, according the the Vodafone website, Gigafast is only available in:
Aberdeen
Bournemouth
Cambridge
Coventry
Edinburgh
Huddersfield
Leeds
Milton Keynes
Northampton
Peterborough
Southend-On-Sea