Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd profile?

FIXED
Len2
Dabbler

Odd profile?

I have the unlimited fibre product but am paying the unlimited fibre extra price.  I believe this is a result of some issues when I first switched to fibre extra - there were some speed issues which were causing instability and the line was capped at the 40Mb/sec rate which seemed to lessen these.  I have no such problems now and the estimated line speed is 75-80Mb/s so I was thinking it might be worth trying the faster profile.  How do I go about this?

10 REPLIES 10
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Odd profile?

I'm not entirely sure why, but it looks like your service is provisioned on 40/10. I'm placing an order to change this to 80/20 and this should complete in 1 working day.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Len2
Dabbler

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I'll mark this fixed once the new profile kicks in - it will be interesting to see if the speed actually changes Smiley

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Len2

And I would ask for the money back for the time you spent on a low speed product but paying for the full speed one. Wink

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Len2
Dabbler

Hehe.  Much as I dislike being fair, that was not really PlusNet's fault.  I was on the original trial and at the end of that I ordered the fibre Extra but for some reason the line would not stabilize so the top speed was capped.  I could, I think, at that stage have gone back to the lower speed fibre package but that only gives a 1 or 2 Mb/s upload so we compromised with a capped download speed and left the upload at 10Mb/s which I what I had had during the trial.  Various family issues distracted me after that and it only recently occurred to me that it should probably be sorted out one way or the other.  I'm hoping I'll get a bit of a speed boost out of it - we'll see,

nightstalk3r
Rising Star

@HarryB

Now if only you would actually sell 40/10 to those of us that actually want it instead of this 40/2 rubbish.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

Unfortunately that decision isn't my choice to make.

EDIT: @Len2 The order to update your speed has now updated. You should now see a speed increase (If you're not seeing it right away, it may be worth disconnecting and reconnecting) Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Len2
Dabbler

Thanks Harry.  A quick & dirty check (ie not shutting down anything else which might be using the internet) showed a noticable increase in upload speed but no significant change down.  When I have a bit more time later today I'll do it properly with only the one PC connected to the router.  I'm currently getting just under 28Mb/s down which seems a little slow but I suppose it is possible that the non-fibre connection from the concentrator is poor.  I'm hoping the line will train itself up to a higher speed - do they still do that?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That seems lower than I'd expect given what your estimates are when checking on http://dslchecker.bt.com

I've just tested the connection and you're only in sync at 30Mbps down and 12.4Mbps up.
The line is still showing as being banded on our suppliers side at 40/10 (Although you're not actually reaching the top end of the band), despite now having a provisioned speed of 80/20 and estimates of 57.5-74.5 down and 18.3-20 up.

Might be worth raising a fault for further investigation.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Len2
Dabbler

Thanks Harry.  I've raised a fault - the BT tester says this line has a 29.06Mb/s IP profile which seems wrong.  Hopefully the service team will be able to get that changed in some way.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

With it being an FTTC asset it may end up needing an engineer to make some changes. But hopefully this gets sorted for you.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet