Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Odd TBB test ?

Plusnet Saff are around today , last post by anoush 12 mins ago Shocked

So it looks like they are Avoiding this thread Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@davenos

I know, I was just labouring the point so that Plusnet staff, customers and future customers can see what rubbish is spouted by the support team.

I'm just very annoyed that Plusnet seem to think the treating customers like they are idiots is the way to run a successful business.

A new HTML5 only result just taken

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
davenos
Rising Star

@rongtw Indeed all the staff on here seem to be ignoring the thread and that does speak volumes.

@SpendLessTime My tests today have not been as bad as the past week or so but they are all over the place, on the x1 im getting anywhere from 6mbps upto 35mbps.

I've also now tried this via wireless on an iPad(as my laptop and table are both running windows 10)and the results are all over the place aswell.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

All over the place today - also seem to be getting whacked by the peak slowdown issue....

Plusnet apparently in total denial of both this issue and the Peak time slow down (I'm not getting more than 16M, with 9 being the normal at the moment).

How long does this have to go on before we can bounce it up to the regulator?

davenos
Rising Star

@SteveA You have to go through the full complaint procedure before you can pass it up the chain to the regulator, despite all their tests coming back good and im told that the path my line uses is only running at 30% capacity i still get the peak time slowdowns (8pm till 11pm is the worst).

They insist on an engineer visiting my property to diagnose a fault that they say isn't there and that the tests say is not necessary, now im self employed and most of my day is spent in London(or travelling between London/Newcastle/Liverpool and my home in Nottingham) im also looking after a terminally ill friend and her daughter so i cannot just have time off to wait in for a visit that will be pointless and solve nothing, but unless i do i cannot progress my complaint any further im currently stuck in poor service limbo.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@SteveA wrote:

Plusnet apparently in total denial of both this issue and the Peak time slow down (I'm not getting more than 16M, with 9 being the normal at the moment).

@SteveASteve - I know some of the plusnet guys are looking into this actively as I've had some PMs asking and clarifying some of the info ive put up, what they arent so good at is posting here to let everyone know that. THey are also usually different guys from the ones on web chat, so I suspect the details of early theories of it being win10+flash are out of date news. Doesn't excuse things and is still frustrating not knowing what is going on, but it is being looked at I believe.

Anyway, I thought what would make it easier to see what is going on is a couple of pictures Cheesy

The first is a summary of all the tests and where is works - i.e after 2 hrs of testing no slowdowns, and red for when it hits a slow run for the download. I have now been running tests on WIndows 7, osx sierra and using both wifi and gig ethernet. The one common factor every single time without fail is if you are on a bng it hits you if you are not on a BNG I've yet to see the issue.

summary.jpg

Now this is for me the real killer graphic, It runs a tbb wget form osx on their 20mb download, after done sleeps 10 seconds and goes again. Been going from 8am to 7pm. My linesync is 78mb, time goes left to right.

speed saturday.jpg

You can (hopefully!) very clearly see through the day my line speed is dying through the day, not just peak times in the day(each blue dot is a speed test result), has been for past week and got fault open for it, by midnight its back up to 78.

The bottom row of dots is the speedtests that are running slow, consistently through the day - not just in peak hours, they ALL run the same slow speed within a few kb/sec of each other. Regardless of time of day there is little variance. In the 586 samples 128 were slow (21%)

Min 82.6 kb/sec
Max 117.0 kb/sec
Average 95.6 kb/sec
Median 94.8 kb/sec
STDDeV 6.0

In a slow download there is also significant / very high retransmission / dup acks occurring.

So it looks like either - there is a L2TP problem (may explain AA/Zen issues too), may be a config issues on the BNG, or there looks like 1/5 of the traffic goes a route that is broken, either a physical link, dirty fibre, processor card etc. Or something that is sampling only 1/5 of the traffic and adding delay and latency by dropping certain packets.

Having said ALL this, and hopefully thats got to nail somewhere the problem, I am still only seeing this specific issues on the 20mb files from TBB, has anyones got any other examples where its running at this killer low speed (not jsut generally slow but one minute its running 1/50th of the speed then its back 'normal' again? I can add other tests in, but at the moment all this thread covers is a single problem to a single file on one speedtest.

As you can see from my 2nd graph there is also a general slowdown issue (on my line at least) and reported by others. I can share my windows script too if people are happy to run their windows PC on tomorrow to keep getting results too? 

davenos
Rising Star

I can leave my laptop running the script while in out at work in order to gain more info.

I notice the slowdowns when using my SkyDrive service, one second its running at 4.2MBps the next its down to 100kbps or lower,this happens on dropbox and mega aswell.

My line is syncing at 37mbps.
MrSilver
Pro

@echo off
:loop
./wget http://http-speedtest4.thinkbroadband.com/20MB.zip 2>> output
del 20MB.zip
goto loop

I downloaded https://eternallybored.org/misc/wget/current/wget.exe and put in the same directory as the script that runs.

put the script in a file called run.bat and go to the directory in a command prompt and type run

then make sure your PC doesn't have power saving to turn off in 2hrs time 😉

Good to know dropbox has issues for you, is skydrive the same as onedrive? I have accounts for both of them, but all you need to do is put the same 20mb file on them both, work out the url to get them and put that in the script too, and add them to the delete part to save disk space.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@MrSilver  i cant help but notice BNG,s were the worst on  the OLD network Huh

MrSilver
Pro

Yeah, shame it was confirmed all the ags were gone, would have been a good test to run against them to narrow confit vs BT problem.... 😞
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

MrSilver I have just noticed a oddity , previously my tests were done with nothing running But i have just downloaded a large Game file 4.7 gig .
And got terrible results also took considerately longer than i would expect ?
MrSilver
Pro

@rongtw can you link the file? I can try later too. Currently got a Linux ISO and 200 20mb files on Dropbox too
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

MrSilver  Its full game download from EA , BF1  it was on offer 50% discount
MrSilver
Pro

So i added in 4 new files, a 20mb dropbox, 200mb drop box, 200m think boradband and a linux ISO. I gave it 3-4 hours and changed BNGs and think we are getting somewhere....sat24.jpg

On 2 of the BNGs I had zero slowdown (well apart from my line generally getting worse through the day!!)

Its only the middle BNG that I could get to hit the mega slow consistently, 

So if you want a merry Christmas stay off PSB-BNG04!! If you are on PCN-BNG01 or 02 then tell your loved ones they will be in trouble if they unplug the router to plug a new toy as you may not get back on a good BNG!!

I plan to cycle each BNG (restarts and hope i get one ive not tried!) and run for 304 hours on each, so when Plusnet come back from Christmas holidays they can hopefully fix the broken BNGs!

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Wish I could get off pcn-bng04 - my router seems to have some sort of fatal attraction to it and it seems to have serious problems with packet loss...