cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Speedtest readings and slowing Upload this morning.

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Odd Speedtest readings and slowing Upload this morning.

I run a speedtest first thing every day (yes I know, paranoid about speed! ^-) ). Normally they don't vary, but this morning it did.

Ping was 97ms (normally 12-20) and downloading saw about 17Mbps on the needle ,which suddenly hit 98Mbps and stayed there for maybe 2-3 secs. 98Mbps is "impossible". Final result, Down, was 34Mbps or thereabouts, Normally its 45Mbps at the PC and 47Mbps at the socket.

Up speeds have been falling over the last 3 weeks from 11.5Mbps to 10.05Mbps. On this mornings test, needle and result topped out at 5Mbps, half of recent.

I restested just now and all figures are back where I expect to see them, but is the slowing Up speed a sign of possible fault or failure?

Any idea why these odd figures occurred? I cannot get all the stats on my line from my router, I'm using an Hauwei BTO Modem to connect to my cabinet. Is there an easy way to know if G.INP is enabled?

2 REPLIES 2
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Odd Speedtest readings and slowing Upload this morning.

Fix

I've checked your line and G.INP appears to be enabled as your profile is "0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off"

With regards to the upload sync speed dropping this may be due to crosstalk. It's not enough of a drop for us to raise this as a fault I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Odd Speedtest readings and slowing Upload this morning.

Thanks for looking Matthew. Speeds are good again so all hunkydory, I always worry if I see a speed drop. Had a power cut today of nearly 3 hours. Life without my PC or internet is pretty grim. I do have a smartphone so not entirely in the dark ages, but too close for comfort!