cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OR contractors working on cabinet - phone dropped for a few days, now fibre connection is awful

Profiterole
Grafter

OR contractors working on cabinet - phone dropped for a few days, now fibre connection is awful

I'm at my wits end Sad  There have been OR sub-contractors working on our local cabinets for at least 3 weeks now.  First my phone line dropped on 2nd November and was out for 4-5 days, then my fibre connection started playing up on the 7th November.  

It's been dropping periodically, not usually for too long but long enough to interrupt what I was doing which is very annoying.  And the speeds are awful - I'm currently getting between 6 and 15MB - I'm on fibre and was regularly achieving ~35MB before all this started happening.

I have no idea what they are doing at the cabinet - there are quite often 4-5 engineers there so whatever is happening is obviously not going smoothly.  

I would appreciate some investigation  into my fibre connection over the past few days please.  (I ran a BT Speedtest earlier to try and establish what my real speed as an online service is showing only 6MBps).

Edit: Since posting this I've lost the internet at least twice.  The first time my connection dropped completely and I had to request the router to connect, the 2nd just the internet was lost (without the connection going down) and came back without any intervention

Edit 2: And again, internet lost, connection remained, this time less than 5 minutes since the last time Cry

17 REPLIES 17
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: OR contractors working on cabinet - phone dropped for a few days, now fibre connection is awful

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the spam filter

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: OR contractors working on cabinet - phone dropped for a few days, now fibre connection is awful

Hi @Profiterole

I have ran some checks for you, and I can see some issues on there. I have reported this to our suppliers for you, please let us know if you haven't received any updates by Wednesday evening and we can chase our suppliers for you.

Profiterole
Grafter

@deank thanks (I have another post going over in the home phone forum which is a little more 'active).   According to OR the issue is fixed but unfortunately it is not.  Pages are still refusing to load as 'no internet' and 'connection timed out' and my phone is still very noisy.

I'm on the phone to support right now.  I don't want this closed off until it is really fixed please.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Profiterole, I will respond on your other forum post shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Profiterole
Grafter

The noise on my phone line has gone and internet has not dropped in nearly 2 days. Speeds are slower than I was previously receiving though (27MB vs 36MB previously) so I'm not sure if there's more tweaking required?

I would appreciate being issued with a new modem/router though (I realise that I am required to pay P&P) as my current Thompson periodically loses wifi or the password and is now 3.5 years old.  Could someone advise how I can arrange this please

(Also posted this response on my other thread - sorry for duplicating the post, but the speed is more applicable to the fibre issue)

Profiterole
Grafter

Just ran TBB and BT speed tests again - still 27MB.  But the BT further diagnostics is showing my IP profile is 27MB?  Why is that when I should be getting up to 38MB and was getting nearer that than before this issue?

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

I have ran some checks on our side, and it's showing a speed of 40Mbps, with a line profile of 40Mbps. BT do have their own which fluctuates based on the speed of the line, but this doesn't seem to be the issue here.

With regards to the modem, I can see from another thread that you have had one sent out to you already.

Profiterole
Grafter

@deank I'm afraid your tests and both TBB and BT tests don't agree.  TBB test:

1542555620683358855-mini

BT final result (showing the exact same as 05.30 this morning so not affected by time of day):

Capture2.JPG

So I'm afraid far different from the speeds you have mentioned and far different to that which I was receiving before this fault (which were nearer to 36-38MB).  This is on a wired connection and on my main PC which I always use for tests.  

Could you direct me to where I can see 40MB profile please?

Profiterole
Grafter

Ok reading up on a thread I found I think this 27MB profile is due to the multiple disconnects I was having a few days ago.  Hopefully once it's been up and running for a few days the speed will increase.  I just hope it isn't too long before it resets to a higher profile as there's a definite difference with streaming and playing games now unfortunately.  

I've had no disconnects for almost 4 days - and luckily the work seems to have ended at my cabinet, so fingers crossed nothing else happens

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It looks like your account is restricting your speeds at a max of 29mbps which would've been the IP profile of your sync rate before the fault was fixed. I can see that updated to 39.8mbps on Friday.

If you do a single disconnect/reconnect of the PPP session within your router interface, or reboot it, you should see higher speeds.

Upon looking through your account I've noticed the speed profile bears a max of 55/10 which indicates that long ago you would've been provisioned on the 40/20 package which we discontinued then downgraded to 55/10 as a compromise in 2015.

It may have been after a recent re-contracting at one point that the provisioned speed changed. I've corrected that to match the profile on your account, which means you should see speeds of up to 55mbps tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Profiterole
Grafter

@Gandalf that's very sweet of you but I wasn't on that package Roll_eyes  I'm too honest lol!

I was on the lower speed of 38MB.  And I missed the boat for the faster upload (just) so think I was restricted to 2MB on the lower deal?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

And I missed the boat for the faster upload (just) so think I was restricted to 2MB on the lower deal?

There's no boat to miss, everyone that was on the 40/2 product was upgraded to 40/10. If you're still on 40/2 then you should be upgraded now.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It's possible that at the point of migrating people from 40/20 to 55/10 that your line never got moved, but the profile on your account did, and for one reason or another your line was then provisioned to 40/2, and was missed in the 40/10 upgrades.

I've just corrected things by matching up the provisioned product to the profile on your account. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Profiterole
Grafter

Back to normal:

1542691000184649555-mini

Thank you everyone for your help!  It's appreciated