cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OR Modem Replacement PSU

Picnic
Grafter

OR Modem Replacement PSU

Completely out of the blue I've had a package from PN with a new White PSU to replace the Black one 'supplied' with my FTTC Modem. As I already have a White PSU do I need to replace it, shall I just return the new PSU?
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: OR Modem Replacement PSU

Hi there,
I'd suggest changing it for the new one anyway.
Chris
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Picnic
Grafter

Ok will do, thanks for the quick reply  Smiley
broadbandjockey

Quote from: Picnic
Completely out of the blue I've had a package from PN with a new White PSU to replace the Black one 'supplied' with my FTTC Modem.

So did I. I've had my FTTC modem and PSU since 2010, replaced the PSU as instructed, and packaged up the old one for return, but
what's the point, doesn't seem to be any sort of reverse tracking system, to log that I've returned it. I'm just as capable as BT OR of
chucking it into an electrical recycling bin !
grahamt
Rising Star

I got mine today. However...
Back in April my original (2011, Huawei) BT Openreach modem was replaced by an Openreach engineer, but he didn't change the power supply. However, just last month the new modem was itself replaced by another engineer (OR engineers seem to replace them by default when they're not 100% sure where a fault lies) and this time the power supply was replaced as well. So I now have an ECI modem that replaced my original Huawei, a new power supply and (as the 2nd modem was also an ECI)  a spare power supply.
The last engineer took away the black power supply along with both the older modems, so I can't return it - and in any case there was no pre-paid envelope in the package, contrary to what the instruction leaflet stated.
So:
a) do I need to return the replacement power supply - and if so how do I do this? (I assume there's a specific address for returns.)
b) do I need to notify Plusnet officially about what I've said above, e.g. via a ticket?
Chris
Legend

Let me find out for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

The instruction leaflet should have the pre-paid postage label on it. Is this not the case? If not, don't worry too much about sending this back.
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for asking, Chris.
No - there is nothing attached to my instruction leaflet and no separate pre-paid envelope as described in the leaflet. I'm also sure nothing fell out when I opened the package.There was just a single-sided letter and a double-sided instruction leaflet, plus of course the box with the PSU.
grahamt
Rising Star

Oh, and - Picnic - check that your modem's a Huawei before swapping in the new PSU. If you already have a white PSU it may have come with an ECI modem. I don't know enough to say whether the two PSUs are interchangeable. Probably they are (given that I had an ECI modem running with an old Huawei power supply for six months) but I'm not sure. The Openreach engineer didn't think it was good to mix 'n match.
picbits
Rising Star

Is this anything to do with the post a few months back where someone's PSU spat a capacitor (or something) out of the side ?
Colin33

Are OR going to recompense us for the hassle of changing the PSU, packing it up, going to the post office,  standing in the queue etc.
All my cables have been tidied up and are laced together so it is not a simple job to replace.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

i hope you're not being serious there.
if you are then i'm really dismayed.