cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK I know should wait, but something doesn’t seem to be right with my new fibre connection..

Rich28
Dabbler

OK I know should wait, but something doesn’t seem to be right with my new fibre connection..

Hi, I’ve just switched to Plusnet and I’m several days into the stabilisation phase, when the DLM system is apparently meant to find the best match in terms of speed and stability on my line.

I know I need to wait for this complete, but my connection is via a HG612 Echolife device and I’ve just looked at its stats, which informs that the downstream line rate is 65,989 kbit/s - and the speedtests I’ve conducted are maxing out at around 49mb. This is lower than what is getting with my former ISP; it’s below what Plusnet advised I should get for its Unlimited Fibre Extra service whilst signing up; and it’s also below the ‘Downstream Handback Threshold’ rate BT’s Broadband Availability Checker informs I should receive for a ‘VDSL Range B (impacted)’ line.

I’m a bit niggled about this, but I suspect anybody from Plusnet will say still I need to wait. There was me thinking though that a line is initially setup for absolute maximum throughput, which is then reduce as necessary by the DLM system as errors are detected in order to achieve stability…

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: OK I know should wait, but something doesn’t seem to be right with my new fibre connection..

The DLM is initially set at 6dB SNR. Depending on line length and quality this may reduce down to 3dB with a corresponding increase in speed.

Are you testing your speed over an Ethernet cable? You need to test it this way to eliminate wireless issues. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rich28
Dabbler

Re: OK I know should wait, but something doesn’t seem to be right with my new fibre connection..

Thanks for getting to me Baldrick1.  I'm using ethernet for all my testing..

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Rich28,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. I've tested your line today and I can see that the downstream sync speed is showing up as 65.9Mbps on our end of things too, which appears to be lower than the speeds we'd expect you to be receiving on your line. As the throughput is much lower than this, I would recommend setting your router up in the test socket in the property as a first port of call. We have a guide on how to do this here.

If the speed doesn't show any sign of improvement we'd also generally ask that you carry out our online troubleshooting guide, which can be found here, but if none of these steps help to improve the speeds you're receiving we'd need to then take a look at investigating the issue further.

Please let us know how things go and how you get on with the above suggestions. If you have any further queries or issues that you wish to raise with us then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to offer our assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Rich28
Dabbler

Thanks for your message TheMightyAJ. 

I've got a relatively new type '5C' master socket and this features an ADSL\VDSL socket in its front plate, which I've been using.  Accessing the test socket on this was pretty easy, but getting a broadband connection via this was dependent on using a microfilter. I've done this but I didn't  detect any change.

Thanks for referring me to your troubleshooting guide. Obviously, my router is effectively already plugged directly into the master socket and I've explored the possibility of whether a microfilter is working, but I'm also absolutely certain that my equipment is setup correctly and the dial tone for the phone seems fine.  

Having said all that I've also done some further speed tests today, which may indicate that things are getting better.  I know that the results can vary so I've tried a few and I think I'm now maxing out at about 62mb.  This however is still below what I was getting with my former ISP, and below the downstream sync speed of 65.9mb you mentioned, which you then said appears lower than the speeds you'd expect I'd be receiving on my line.  I guess I really need to wait for the DLM process to complete - something appears to be going on the background as my ISP address is frequently changing 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Rich28, thanks for getting back to us.

We're sorry to hear that your speeds aren't as expected.

At this point, we're going to need to wait until after the stabilisation period before we're able to raise a speed related fault to our suppliers. For reference - the stabilisation period is usually around 10 days and so you'd be able to raise an issue on 28/03 if it doesn't improve for you.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance at all in the meantime. -Owen

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The stabilization period is a complete crock, and the estimated speeds are based off a 6db profile.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Really poor advice from @OskarPapa  and totally contradicts what has already been posted by @TheMightyAJ .

If the estimated speeds are not being achieved, then the OP needs to follow the advice pf @TheMightyAJ

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Mustrum, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry if my advice wasn't what you'd expect but I'm afraid that regardless of what you believe, we are unable to raise a speed fault within the first 10 days of service or a regrade - it would more than likely be rejected by Openreach.

Unfortunately, whether or not we agree with stabilisation periods, we have to abide by the guidance we're given and it would only waste the OP's time to raise a fault to then have it auto closed almost immediately.

Rich28
Dabbler

Sometime has now passed and I imagine my line stabilisation has been well and truly finalised. My speeds seem to have improved a bit on what I mentioned in my first post but appear to be still below the levels I was getting with my former ISP. (I’ve just conducted a BT wholesale speed test which informs my download speed is currently 59.8 mbs and upload is 14.9 mbs). Perhaps @TheMightyAJ could shine some light on this – I note he said earlier: “..I can see that the downstream sync speed is showing up as 65.9Mbps on our end of things too, which appears to be lower than the speeds we'd expect you to be receiving on your line”

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Rich28

Your estimated line speed is between 67Mbps - 80Mbps. The minimum guaranteed speed is 56Mbps.

I have tested the speed from this end and it is testing at 72Mbps which is within the estimates for your line.

Please run the BT Speedtester service on a wired connection at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics.  Please type in your phone number and click run diagnostic test.  This will run a test and send the results to the server for investigation.

Let us know on here what speeds you get once you complete the above steps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Are you testing on a wired connection on wireless? Speeds are only guaranteed when hard plumbed to the router, there are too many variables around wireless.

Rich28
Dabbler

thanks for getting back to me @Beyhive

The speed test I performed earlier today was BT's speedtester service @ http://speedtest.btwholesale.com, using a wired connection, and as I said this reported that my download speed was 59.8Mbs.  OK this is slightly above what you inform is the minimum guaranteed speed of 56Mbps, but its no way near the 72Mbs which you then go on to say my line is testing at, at your end. 

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Rich28,

I've just tested your line once more and it is showing as synced at 72Mbps. When you ran the speed test did you have any other devices connected using any of the bandwidth?

The other thing I would suggest is to perhaps try running a wired test using a couple different speed testing web sites?

Also It might be worth trying a wired speed test from a different device (if possible)

Let us know how you get on