cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of wifi users.

HLC

Number of wifi users.

Using a Plusnet fibre router (Sagemcom 2704N) in a community learning centre and we are having issues with the number of users able to connect to wifi. Looking in the router settings there doesn't appear to be a way to change this. Apart from connecting some devices using ethernet, (which isn't possible with tablets etc) is there a simple way around this using the router supplied?
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Number of wifi users.

is the problem that it won't handle the number of users and if so - how many
HLC

It does appear to be around 13-15 users at anyone time,but with people using several devices at once ( laptops,tablets and phones) we have issues when we have a number of users in our centre. We are a community learning centre staffed by volunteers and funded by grants,teaching IT to mainly over 50's,so our user numbers fluctuates during the day.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you probably need a business level router/wifi access point to be honest.
the standard plusnet router is not designed to be used in the environment you are using it in.
also, you may need to check that you are not using a home package for business use.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suspect that for what you need you will need a business grade router - perhaps the more expert on here can advise
However - to help them - can you explain exactly what problems you are seeing
HLC

We lose connection on some devices when we are busy and turning the wifi off on some allows the others to connect so this must be the issue. Before we upgraded to fibre we didn't have an problem so it points to the fibre router. I wondered if using another router as a repeater would be an answer.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: HLC
... Before we upgraded to fibre we didn't have an problem so it points to the fibre router ...

You could try attaching your previous modem-router as a switch/access point by turning off dhcp/dns the that and using a cable to connect one of the LAN ports to the new router.
If you need help there, what is the other device?
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
brookheather
Rising Star

Try using a BT HomeHub 5 router instead - it is compatible with Plusnet (just enter your Plusnet credentials in the settings) - I use mine with 30+ devices connected and don't have any issues.  You can buy them for £20 or so from ebay etc.
BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro