Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nowhere near the minimum speed - please check

leew
Hooked

Nowhere near the minimum speed - please check

Hi PN support,

account username: leew88

I'm on your fibre extra contract using your Plusnet Hub One router and only getting between 36-42mbs download, upload is fine at around 18mbs.  Re-booted router and still the same.

Can you please test for any faults, check\adjust my line profile if required, thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Nowhere near the minimum speed - please check

Hi there @leew,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I am sorry you are not getting the speeds confirmed to your during your upgrade and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I've taken a look and ran a couple of tests over your service and it appears your circuit is currently in sync at 46.1mbps which is below your estimates, however, there are no underlying faults detected. If you could follow the troubleshooting here and let us know how you get on? Could you also let us know if you are getting that speed while using a wired or wireless connection?

Thanks.

leew
Hooked

Link doesn't work by the way.

I'm connected using wired ethernet cable to the router.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Here

is the working link minus the full stop.

leew
Hooked

OK so carried out the following checks:

1.  Phone line is quiet no issues

2.  Connected via wired ethernet cable direct to the router

3.  I was already on the master socket, but I tested on the other sockets around my house and was getting similar download 43mbs but upload was only 10mbs, I also swapped tried spare microfilter which I had and no change.

4.  Re-connected router back to master socket download still around 43mbs but upload back to 18mbs

Please advise next step.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @leew

Thanks for completing that troubleshooting, I'm sorry none of it really helped the issues. The next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket (which is under the faceplate of your master socket) and seeing if the drops stop.

This rules out your internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause of these drops.

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists, please can you raise a fault here  and let us know once this has been done?

Thanks.

leew
Hooked

Hi PN,

My complaint is regarding the D/L speed (not drops).

I've just tested it through the test socket under the plate of the master socket, the D/L has improved slightly to 44mbs but my U/L speed dropped to 15mbs.

I put everything back to the original socket I was using originally and has now settled to D/L 43mbs U/L 18mbs.

Before I raise a fault, would there be anything else you could do like resetting my profile\server in which you had done for other users with simililar issue?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

If you tested from the other sockets around the house, and it works, then it is your wiring that is causing the slow speeds.

You should have a filtered VDSL master socket for the best speeds, it will be the first thing that Openreach will fit when they come out.

leew
Hooked

Sorry but you've mis-understood my investigation, my minimum DL speed according to my contract is 51.5mbs, when tested from master socket test point I'm getting DL 44mbs UL 15mbs, when tested from a non-master socket within my home I get DL 43mbs UL 18mbs. BOTH scenarios are failing to meet the minimum 51.5mbs DL throughput speeds so this proves it's not a internal home wiring issue.

I've raised a fault via your link anyway, but it would be nice if you could try a IP profile reset to see if it would improve things, thanks

Mustrum
Community Veteran

No, I did not misunderstand anything - VDSL/FTTC speeds are very intolerant of internal wiring. In the early days when Openreach did the installs they would fit the VDSL Faceplate, which meant you no longer needed a filter, and would only be able to plug the router into the master socket.

As you were testing with speed tests, you would not allowed sufficient time for your profile to update - it takes at least overnight - besides, guaranteed speed are synch speeds, not speed tests they don't give the true picture. A more accurate picture would have been seen had you quoted the synch speeds and max attainable speeds for each test. You can view these via the Help Desk page on the router, which is in the Advanced tab.

By the way, I am not PlusNet, but a customer just like you.

leew
Hooked

Thanks for the explanation.

I've looked at my routers sync speed as shown, which is about 5mbs below the guaranteed minimum.

I'll await to see what Plusnet \ Openreach plan to do.

Downstream: 46.38 Mbps
Upstream:

19.07 Mbps

Mustrum
Community Veteran

As you are in the first 10 days settling down period, which by the way is not relevant on VDSL, it's likely they won't do a lot for a while.

But in the mean time, look a bit deeper in the router, and find the max attainable speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @leew 

From what I can see your line is in sync at a speed way below where we'd expect and there aren't any speed restrictions showing for us to reset, so we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further. 

Can you reply to this ticket with your availability for an engineer to visit letting us know over here once you've done this? We'll then get the fault ticket picked back up as soon as we can and arrange the appointment.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet