cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now got fibre 30Mb+ download - but still experiencing slow services

DRFielding

Now got fibre 30Mb+ download - but still experiencing slow services

I've upgraded to Fibre with 30Mb+ download speed but despite this streaming videos via YouTube still stutter, and downloading games etc to Xbox still slow.....seams to be no better than when I was on standard broadband with on 3Mb download speed.
Can anybody explain and/or advice if I'm doing something wrong or have I been conned into upgrading?
10 REPLIES 10
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Now got fibre 30Mb+ download - but still experiencing slow services

I had the same issues with streaming in my 1st few days. I noticed it on Iplayer. It seems to have settled for now but I'm keeping an eye on it.
From what I can make so far out a lot the sites you connect to on the internet for downloading or streaming won't offer you anywhere near the downstream throughput you now have with your fibre-to-cabinet and so speed improvement isn't as evident as you may have thought it might be. On the plus side my web browsing seems faster and smoother and I have noticed really fast Amazon Music downloads and very fast Microsoft OneDrive synching but that's as far as I've gotten so far. I think the biggest advantage of fibre-to-cabinet will be shown in households where multiple users are online at the same time all running data intensive applications in that their will be more bandwidth to go round before everything starts to slow down.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't think you have been conned. You have increased your potential speed ten fold with probably a 50% price increase. You will see a huge difference when you hit Microsoft patch Tuesday for example when they are downloaded in seconds. These days there are a lot of users taking bandwidth and as above some sites will still be slower than expected.
Let's be careful out there !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please check what this says https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
If it is as your ADSL connection I suggest phoning in and asking for the Plusnet profile to be increased
If it is correct for Fibre try a disconnect/reconnect via the router interface and see it that fixes it
daro2096
Grafter

Not everyone has upgraded servers.
charltjr
Grafter

Do what oldjim said, most likely your profile is still set to the old speed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@DRFielding
How's it looking now? Are you still seeing issues watching videos etc or is everything working ok now?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
thunderstorm

Exactly the same issue here. Got Plusnet Fibre today and my speeds are even less than ASDL.
Connecting a single PC using LAN gives the following results:-
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-12-05 10:38:20
Current line speed:
2.7 Mb
Have restarted the router. Disconnected and reconnected numerous times and tried different CAT5 cables and different PCs. All with the same result.
Is there a time period after installation before I can expect to see the expected speed increases?
tonycollinet
Grafter

That sounds like you need the PN profile to be upped to match the bt profile.
It should happen automatically after the engineer updates the system to say work complete - but when it does, you'll need to disconnect/reconnect (do it from the web interface of the router - don't switch off the modem)
I'd try it now in case it's been updated since you posted. If not, then post back here, and hopefully someone from the DCT will give it a kick when they are back tomorrow.
thunderstorm

Still no joy after disconnecting and reconnecting. Although the speed has now gone up the the dizzying heights of 4.7Mbps (still less than ADSL & I suspect that's because it's a different time of day)
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-12-05 10:38:20
Current line speed:
4.7 Mb
Our PN user name is the same as our forum username (thunderstorm).
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@thunderstorm
Your profile on our side is now correct after you contacted us, are you getting the speeds you expect now?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.