cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing wrong with my broadband......ppfft!!

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Nothing wrong with my broadband......ppfft!!

so after a week of waiting for tests they says there is nothing wrong with my line,,,, yeah i spend hours at a time complaining for nothing and each test i drag my pc downstairs to test on LAN

GEA
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEU24380535

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 463.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-03-14T12:00:00

t2WZpMb

as I explained the chart above shows down/uptime only... it doesnt capture throughput over time

so thats me left in the lurch for 18 months with broadband that barely works

15 REPLIES 15
snadge
Aspiring Pro

Re: Nothing wrong with my broadband......ppfft!!

router comes today - even worse!!!!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Have you considered signing up to Samknows which will help show how your throughput is doing.

Guessing you normally connect via wifi, which can give its own issues, but working out where to look will help.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

I always do LAN tests and results are the same

1) i get new router...still same (after 2 months of complaining)

2) a rep showed me uptime on my line - i explain this does NOT show constant throughput over time

3) rep no.2 shows me 'total bandwidth downloaded over-time', lol and that because the numbers are in 100's of GB's he has CLOSED the case on this basis

the total chart he shows is a chart of HOW MUCH I've download in 'X' time... i could manage that and more on the 18Mbps ive been getting as i stream a very lot and youtube everyday... the point here is its dropping from 37Mbps to anywhere between 17-25Mbps occasionally and PN arent bothered - if it keeps happening then im of to LLu and they can pay the £30 to move off BTWholeSale as they are at fault

MONKEYS!!!

snadge
Aspiring Pro

well its been a few days and already back down to 20Mbps

I test on LAN and refuse it to be my wifi anyway - 5Ghz with no co-channelling and if it were a defective radio unit the problem would be permenant

BEFORE REBOOT:

67iUpEP

AFTER REBOOT:

tTwUXsa

as you can see my 5Ghz connection is currently at 240Mbps but flicks between that and 300Mbps and ive had 37Mb speedtests on 120Mbps 5Ghz sync!!!

PLUSNET SORT IT OUT

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@snadge wrote:

as you can see my 5Ghz connection is currently at 240Mbps but flicks between that and 300Mbps and ive had 37Mb speedtests on 120Mbps 5Ghz sync!!!

PLUSNET SORT IT OUT

It's a weird case but sadly I don't think yelling at PN is going to help.

* The GEA report says there is nothing wrong. You appear to be signed up to the 40/2 service and getting a full sync.

* You've replaced the router several times.

I don't think I've come across a fault like yours on these forums before and from what I know of how internet is provisioned in the UK I can't fathom how an isolated user could be experiencing what you are. There should be dozens of other similar complaints at the very least. Yet it seems to be just you.

I also think that your graph is odd. It seems to be taking your device a long time to ramp up to full speed. Here's one of mine from last year:

Notice how mine kicks off at full speed almost immediately. Your graph looks to me like something is going wrong in the auto configuration on the device. Maybe some kind of RWIN adjustment failure.

So, sadly, I struggle to see how it can be anything that PN is responsible for. I realise that you won't want to hear that but in your position my next step would be to find a friend who is definitely not experiencing this and to ask them to come round with their device and run a test. Or you take your device round to them and see how it performs.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

As you're "downloading 100's of GB's" you need to ensure there are no other activities on the line when running the speed tests. My speed just dropped due to 2 iPad's doing very large App updates....

snadge
Aspiring Pro

@Champnet thanks for the advice but im aware... i run my own broadband support forum and use many others and have done for over 10 years (KITZ,TBB,DSLZ just to name a few) so I know the network needs to be 'clear' before testing, im a single occupant on a PC. even my phone isnt connected to wifi as i dont use internet on phone...so theres just the PC...and I dont run speedtest WHILE streaming or downloading lol....purpose defeated! 

@Andrue - there are MANY people with the same issue...look and thou shall see..
1) most people with THIS problem probably wouldn't even recognise it, as it isn't a major really noticeable problem for 'average joe' who goes on google, facebook and youtube

2) some people with problems they have noticed have to resort to using 'proper' broadband forums where they get help from the real Networking Experts and Technicians that work in the BTo field.. instead of coming to a forum that is mostly hired staff with little -to- no experience in Telecoms, they are simply going to work 9-5 to earn a penny like the rest of us.  its all scripted. My friend got a job at Sky CS and barely knows how to use a computer...never mind have any Broadband Technical knowledge.

3) the reason for my rant was because I have another Thread 2 months old and not ONE member of staff offered to help, it was not until i seen someone in a different thread pointing out a link to the complaint app (which is well hidden away in the control panel somewhere...I still havent found it yet and saved the link in bookmarks)

AND

I bought a BT HOME 5B which is a PLUSNET HUB ONE but instead of having the dodgy 'Lantiq' chipset (like the BT HOME HUB 5A + PLUSNET HUB ONE) the 5B has the 'Broadcom 6368' chipset which BT replaced the 5A with because of known issues on that Lantiq chipset in that Hub that was causing issues for customers

.... I think BT have handed off surplus chipset boards to BT Owned PlusNet to house in a 'white' version of the old BT Home Hub 5

now check this out with almost 4 days up on the 5B (Broadcom 6316Cool

1) The Max Rate has gone from 65Mb to 73Mb...!!
2) Latency has dropped 2ms
3) It reports my line as 50m shorter than the PN Hub at 410m (BThub) vs 463m (PNhub)
4) speed hasnt dipped from 37Mbps once and gives consistent results whereas before they were slightly inconsistent
5) 2.4Ghz wifi is -10db stronger

so problem fixed replacing routers chipset... IMO plusnet hand out iffy routers to customers to use up surplus stock IMO

I will be writing to head office about the fact no member of staff offered to help on the forum and I want reimbursing for the router I had to buy to fix THEIR problem

.....dont forget they sent me another hub just to be sure but still happened, so 2 plusnet hub one's cause my speed to dip from 37Mbps to around 18-22Mbps every few-several days - replace it with the same router but with a broadcom chipset after learning Plusnets Hub1 has the dodgy Lantiq chipset in...problem solved <- think that speaks volumes...

there are MANY people with issue or very similar across this and many other forums

another thing I noticed... from the forum stats.. less than 1% of problems are fixed on here -> see point 2 above!

2) some people with problems they have noticed have to resort to using 'proper' broadband forums where they get help from the real Networking Experts and Technicians that work in the BTo field.. instead of coming to a forum that is mostly hired staff with little -to- no experience in Telecoms, they are simply going to work 9-5 to earn a penny like the rest of us.  its all scripted. My friend got a job at Sky CS and barely knows how to use a computer...never mind have any Broadband Technical knowledge.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Glad to hear you've seemingly got to the bottom of the problem.

I honestly doubt you've much to gain from writing to us though. If this is a chipset compatibility issue then it's equally as viable for somebody to experience the complete opposite. Where a Lantic (or other) chipset performs better than a Broadcom one. After all, ECI FTTC DSLAMS use Lantic components, whereas Huawei use Broadcom. Be interesting to know which your cab is?

We are not using surplus stock of BT's and BT still have a lot of HH5A's in the wild.

snadge wrote:

another thing I noticed... from the forum stats.. less than 1% of problems are fixed on here -> see point 2 above!

Irrelevant. The concept of 'fixes' had only been around since migrating these forums to a different software solution during the last year or two.

Prior to that, the forums have existed for well over a decade in different iterations. When the newest version was introduced, posts from the previous versions were migrated.

This is why the fix ratio is so low. It has nothing to do with the quality of community support. There are some very knowledgeable folk who frequent these parts.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It sounds more like a problem with the firmware specific to the Hub One (perhaps shared with the BT HH 5A).

There are expensive DrayTek and FritzBox routers using Lantiq chipsets, I wouldn't expect them to have the same problem.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

snadge wrote:

I want reimbursing for the router I had to buy to fix THEIR problem

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19687.0.html

after 4 months of sick of this I managed to get a hold of 2 BTHH5B's and a YouView box of my brother

So how much did you pay for the router?

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

So Plusnet were entirely correct to tell you that your line is fine. It was just the router. A router that you paid nothing for turns out to have some kind of weird compatibility issue. And..what kind of techie uses a free router provided by their ISP if they don't have to? All techies surely know that free=not likely to be very good.

So as per the thread title - no, there is indeed nothing whatsoever wrong with your broadband and probably never has been.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Are you on the 38/2 service, did you get the fix? Or have you missed that one?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@ejs wrote:

It sounds more like a problem with the firmware specific to the Hub One (perhaps shared with the BT HH 5A).

There are expensive DrayTek and FritzBox routers using Lantiq chipsets, I wouldn't expect them to have the same problem.

Just to be clear, there is no known compatibility issue affecting the Hub Ones in the way the OP describes, neither chipset or software related.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

snadge
Aspiring Pro

@Andrue well for one I didnt say it was just my line??, you mustn't have read my original thread thats 2/3 months old... I knew and claimed it was either the routers chipset/firmware or my line... now ive gotten a router with a different chipset I now know from the outset (and had claimed) that the PNH1 has some sort of issue as BOTH of them had the same issue 2 PNH1's sent out too me has exactly the same results.... so how am I mean to know its the routers and not the line UNTIL I got another router and sorted the issue??  Cool_smiley   - the answer to your other question is also on the other website if you want to check that aswell... I am totally & utterly skint and asked what was best to buy for a VDSL connection after coming back to xDSL after 2 years of DOCSIS as soon as I went live, unfortunately it was £100 and I cant afford it! - @ejs should be able to back you up on that one aswell Smiley

@ejs - where does it say I didnt pay for them....which Iam doing by way of installing printer and cleaning out his PC in return..in about 30 minutes time actually Smiley

never mind that...what about all the tooing and frooing...between PN/Forums etc - spent hours on trying to sort it out.

@Mustrum - not sure what you are getting at bud but yeah im on the 40/2 or whatever you want to call it.

and i had to pay £50 for that PNHUB1 too