cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing but problems since switching to Fibre

suke
Grafter

Nothing but problems since switching to Fibre

Been with PlusNet since 2010 when moving into this new build house.  A few problems getting sorted with new line etc at the beginning but since then the Internet has been rock solid.  Approx. 2 months ago PlusNet rang me offering a deal to change to Fibre with same cost.  Ok that sounds good, sign me up.  New router comes, plugged in getting speeds around 30 to 35 mbits.  Great.  NO!.  Internet keeps dropping out.  Report same.  We need to send an engineer out.  OK.  He says wiring not correct in house.  Checks packet loss where telephone line comes into house.  Forget the exact figure but seem to think around about 30 to 40.  Checks inside house near router and somewhere between 30 and 40000.  I say ok I understand that but if its the wiring why isn't it dropping out all the time and why was I getting no problems before I went to fibre.  He has no answer for that.  Any way he fits a new master socket in the bedroom where my desk is and says you need to get the wiring checked.  I get someone in and they disconnect all the other phone extension point apart from the master socket.  Everything seems to be fine until today when I lose internet for most part of the day.  Am on the phone 3 times to different people, first one disconnects me while I'm talking to him and never rings me back.  Second one does some checks and while I am talking to him internet comes back.  He tells me its something to do with Exchange.  I then lose connection again and third one tells me its to do with something in my house and I need an engineer to come out.  I am able to type this as I have had a connection for the last 30 minutes with a speed of approx.  35 mbits

If its my wiring why does it keep dropping out and its not constantly off.  Today has been the worst its been.  I am seriously contemplating getting rid of the fibre as its been nothing but trouble

17 REPLIES 17
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Nothing but problems since switching to Fibre

I say ok I understand that but if its the wiring why isn't it dropping out all the time and why was I getting no problems before I went to fibre.

Fibre is more susceptible to internal wiring, especially if it's star wiring.

I've known a service go from ultra stable as ADSL, to start to dropping out after a fibre upgrade. In that instance, the issue was star wiring and when that was removed, the problems were resolved.

Any way he fits a new master socket in the bedroom where my desk is and says you need to get the wiring checked. 

Have you tried plugging the router into the test socket, as explained here?

Can you let us know how the checks go?

If the connection still drops in the test socket then we'd need to arrange an engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

Router is know plugged into the test socket as was asked to do this by customer service on phone.  I have now got someone coming who is going to replace the telephone cable completely by running this on the outside of the property.  It will come from the bt box outside, route round the outside of the house and then into the master socket.  This will be the only cable that is connected to my telephone line.  Hopefully this will be done tomorrow.

The only thing i have done is replaced some halogen lamps for led lamps.  I thought maybe this was having some effect, but have since swopped them back and it still drops out

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If the connection still drops in the test socket and after the work is completed, it's probably worth replying to the ticket here or the text message we've sent so we can arrange an engineer to further investigate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

Work has now been completed.  Before this the connection kept dropping.  After the work we had no connection for approx 4 hrs.  Connection has now been established but who knows how long for.  Can you test for me now please

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sure, it looks like things are still dropping:

We'll need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate this.

If you reply to this ticket we'll get it booked in for you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

We have had a visit today from a Openreach engineer who has checked the line and there does not seem to be any problems with it.  All the tests he did were ok.  The drops that you can see for thursday are when the engineer was here.  Could you please monitor for a further day but i think the problem has now gone away

Thanks for your help

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's good to hear.

Our faults team will keep an eye on this and get back to you within about 72 hours.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

Well spoke to soon here.  Been dropping connection from about 17.00 hrs.  As the BT engineer has checked the line from the master socket back and can find nothing wrong where do we go from here?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We'll likely need to arrange another engineer visit

Let us know how your connection looks by tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

Not sure how another engineer is going to find anything different to what the engineer found today?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It can sometimes take several engineer visits to investigate a fault.

I've personally arranged 12 visits for 1 fault, though I do hope that it doesn't come to that here.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

Since my last post i have again dropped connection for quite some time.  I have actually phoned customer services and explained the situation to him.  He said he was going to pass it the Faults team.  I hope you guys are talking/seeing the same notes for my problem.  So what are we doing?  Is another engineer going to come out?  I am seriously thinking of ditching this fibre and going back to adsl copper!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you reply to the ticket with the requested info we can arrange an engineer.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
suke
Grafter

Since my last post i have had a further 2 engineers out, both times i have been told the faults fixed.

Latest Thursday 12/10/2017

Dear Mr 

Thank you for your patience.

Please accept our apologies for the issue with your service.

Our suppliers have advised that the fault has now been cleared. After running further tests on the line, the line is stable and the speeds are within the limits of the line. If there are any further issues, please get back in touch. 

I hope this clears things up for you. If you believe that the issue has been resolved, please do not reply to this message. Instead, please ignore the ticket and it will close automatically in 14 days. This helps us increase our response times for all our customers.

This was 16.45 Thursday the 12th.  Approx 22.00 again connection was lost and has been lost until approx 13,45 today 14th.

I think this is pretty [-Censored-] service from Plusnet.  Nobody replied to my comments in my original question and then you have the gall to bill me for a full service this month which i am not getting.  Is this going to be sorted because if not you can put me back onto copper line cos this service is [-Censored-]