Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not the speed I'm expecting..

RichyBoy
Dabbler

Re: Not the speed I'm expecting..

Hi,

I've updated the support ticket with some time slots.

Regards

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @RichyBoy,

That's been picked up for you and an appointment booked. 

RichyBoy
Dabbler

The engineer visited this morning. 6. Data rate: 20000 / 55109 (Note on the broadband availability checked my current handback threshold is 57.2 Mbps). He reckons that's the best it's ever going to get. For some reason he's insisted going through the faceplate with a filter despite the fact I don't have a phone connected; but whatever; it's useful to have the 'official' rate. He did not venture an opinion as to why was I synched at considerably higher rates for the previous month. Nor could he offer an opinion as to why I'm now synced below the handback speed (well that's easy, the signal is being passed through a filter when it doesn't need to be!) He was unhappy about the error rate on the line though and managed to get the port changed; that didn't have any noticeable effect. Interleaving remains on. He said a few things of note but he was clear that this isn't the official response, the official response is that this is the best it is going to be. Unofficially, the board in the cabinet is a 1st generation board which is basically stuffed the gunwhales. They can't call a fault to get it replaced because the speed input is over 80 MBps to start with. He suspects that materially a new board in the cabinet would improve matters, almost certainly it would have a input speed of 120 MBps to being with rather than the 82Mbps that it is. Also just about every line into my building has a broadband signal on it - so there is additionally likely to be some signal interference. He says I'm not the first person that was the orignal adopter of high-speed broadband, with a good service, just to see it drop and drop as years march on. Annoying, the engineer confirmed there is BT fibre into the building already. It probably isn't joined to the cabinet though. This is of seriously great annoyance to me.. our appartment block has fibre running to each appartment, and BT themselves have fibre into the property. Just make it happen! Final note, from your email to me in May 2018: Estimated line speed: 62Mbps to 80Mbps This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds. Current line speed: 78Mbps This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken. What is PlusNet's recommendation please ?
RichyBoy
Dabbler

Apologies for formatting; your forum tool has removed all carriage returns, nice!
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @RichyBoy,

I have retested the line and checked the engineer notes, they confirm that a lift and shift has been completed but the engineer hasn't provided confirmation that the sync rate is at the maximum achievable.

As the circuit is still testing under the estimates provided on sign up after the lift and shift, I would be happy to add a note to your account confirming the contract can be removed. Just so that you are aware, the other product available is 40/10. If you was to take this product, you would see approximately a 15Mbps reduction in speed and a 10Mbps reduction in upload speed.

Alternatively, as no notes were provided to confirm the maximum sync rate. We could send a further engineer as the profile has been higher and within the estimates in the past but this may not result in achieving the estimates.

Let us know how you would like to proceed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
RichyBoy
Dabbler

I don't think we should do anything at all for a numbe of days until DLM has had a chance to work properly.

Changing ISP isn't going to solve anything here if fundamentally it's a capacity issue with the infrastructure, I will have to sit tight for a unspecified duration until Fibre reaches the property. I'm not particulary happy with that; I had Virgin several years ago and swapped to Infinity 2 when that became available and that was rock-steady 76 Mbps with none of Virgin's encumbent problems such as shoddy nameservers etc. I swapped to you guys because I noticed I may has well have been on the cheaper Infinity package as my synch speed had dropped to around 60 Mbps. I would be very unwilling to go back to BT as a ISP and I believe the regulator should be throwing them under the bus for this kind of practice, that's my opinion anyway.

if somebody said "here's a sign up page, it will cost £2K, but we'll get Fibre to you within 3 months" i'd be chomping.

RichyBoy
Dabbler

So, as of 30th March:

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 02:38:08
6. Data rate: 20000 / 51456
7. Maximum data rate: 22864 / 60427
8. Noise margin: 6.5 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 14.6 / 15.8
10. Signal attenuation:

14.5 / 15.8

Dropped even further!

Obviously not a PlusNet issue per se; but this should not be happening.

I was very concerned withthe quality of the last OpenReach engineer that was sent around - told me there was fibre into the building (there isn't), insisted I should run a filter and replaced the face plate with a 5c mk 4 (why ? I have no phones or extensions wired up).. said he was going to snitch on the last engineer that was around because of it...

Bear in mind this was syncing quite happily at 71 Mbps with DLM - what has happened ? The original defect I think is answerable in so much as the phone had a weird tone on it, due to lack of termination according to the engineer (possibly as the last previous one moved me of the blue pair onto something with a lower error rate).

Not happy.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @RichyBoy

Thanks for coming back to us - I'm sorry to hear that  this has dropped further since we last spoke - I've also noted your feedback in terms of the engineer and will feed this back.

Just going back to @Jubby's previous post, we're still looking at the same options in terms of moving this forward - just let us know how you want to proceed and we'll get on it.

Best wishes

Dave

RichyBoy
Dabbler

> Alternatively, as no notes were provided to confirm the maximum sync rate. We could send a further engineer as the profile has been higher and within the estimates in the past but this may not result in achieving the estimates.

I think it is worth sending an engineer around again - I realise ultimately it may make no difference. When I first raised an issue the router was on an extension getting 60 Mbps - and now all I have is the master socket with not even the extension wired, on the test socket, and getting 51 Mbps. The performance degredation is in their terrirtory; not mine.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @RichyBoy, can you please reply to the fault ticket here with your availability please and we will get this booked for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
RichyBoy
Dabbler

I've updated the case with some dates/times

Regards

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for updating the ticket.

I'll get this picked up for you now and the ticket updated shortly.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team