cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not the speed I'm expecting..

RichyBoy
Dabbler

Not the speed I'm expecting..

On Tuesday morning I received an email after being live with plusnet for 14 days. I think something is wrong somewhere but I don't know what, help/comments would be appreciated.

Phone exchange:

SOUTHAMPTON

Estimated line speed:80Mb (This may vary between 62Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2018-04-30 19:14:57

Current line speed:78 Mb

Exciting times!

However the plusnet modem says this:

6. Data rate: 20000 / 52884

7. Maximum data rate: 22327 / 59221

8. Noise margin: 5.6 / 5.3

9. Line attenuation: 16.9 / 16.4

10. Signal attenuation: 16.8 / 15.8

Which is significantly lower.

BT Wholesale page:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 49.51 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-51.19 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 51.19 Mbps

The final bit of information, from my welcome email:

We estimate your broadband speed should be between 62Mbps and 80Mbps and your minimum guaranteed access line speed is 54.8Mbps.

Help/knowledge/education appreciated Smiley

41 REPLIES 41
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Not the speed I'm expecting..

Do you have a modern VDSL filtered master socket?

Any extensions?

Have you tried the hidden test socket behind the two screws on the master socket to eliminate any internal extensions?

Have you a quiet line - dial 17070 option 2 from a corded phone?

solent2
Dabbler

Hi, I am also on same exchange and also not yet getting the expected speed - was getting 36 on a 38-40 line and should now have slightly higher than you (can see the cabinet).  I thought maybe it takes a few days but if you have been 14 days......

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to our community forums @RichyBoy and @solent2

I'm sorry to hear you're both experiencing slower than expected speeds.

I've tested both of your connections and it's showing that the connections are both in sync lower than the estimates suggest the lines should be capable of, however it's not flagging up any external/exchange issues that could be causing this.

As such, I'd request you run through our troubleshooting guides Here if you haven't already.

If you continue to experience problems after this, please could you report the issue over at https://faults.plus.net and we'll then be able to get this raised for further investigation with our suppliers for you both.

If you could let us know here once you've done this, we'll be happy to make sure the ticket is picked up and in hand with our suppliers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RichyBoy
Dabbler

The comment about VDSL filtered socket got me thinking. I won't go into all the details, the important bit is that my place is 16 years old, and when I first went for BT Infinity a number of years ago they fitted a new master socket, they fitted it to one of the extensions. Just by plugging in the modem to where the original master socket was saw some improvement.

I've re-wired it all this afternoon so here can be no questions and ambiguities.

The cable feeds into the appartment, connecting to a NTE5 master socket with a Mk1 Openreach interstitial plate with a Solwise VDSL2 filtered splitter faceplate.

I have also fed a broadband extension, using A & B on the faceplate socket, that uses the exisiting telephone extension cable so I've used two of the cores and wired into a regular extension faceplate on pins 2 & 5, which the modem directly plugs into. No phone on the system at all, and no phone extension has been wired, just broadband as above.

Plugging the modem directly into the master socket gave me:

6. Data rate: 18190 / 58767
7. Maximum data rate: 18354 / 68003
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 20.2 / 16.1
10. Signal attenuation: 20.2 / 16.2

Plugging it into the broadband extension socket:

6. Data rate: 20000 / 50370
7. Maximum data rate: 22567 / 58515
8. Noise margin: 6.5 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 16.7 / 16.2
10. Signal attenuation: 16.6 / 15.1

The noise margin is a lot better, but the figures are all askew as I've been up-and-down all afternoon; I'll wait for 3 days or so for stability/re-train purposes and then report back.

solent2
Dabbler

Hi, I'm not sure I understand even half of this but, if the bt wholesale advanced test on my phone number gives an ip profile of 57.86 download and says if you get between 40 - 57.86 then your line is ok - my latest download test speed being 57.4, sounds like it is being capped somewhere before it gets to me? or am I misunderstanding?  My speed before (on an up to 40 contract) was up to about 38 depending on traffic etc, which implies to me that it is a good line (can see cabinet in street) and if PN says it is now up to 80 with an expected of 76 and a minimum of 65 (or something like that). then this persistent 57ish sounds like 'capping' to a non-technogeek like me - but I have yet to receive the 'hub 1'   should I expect better results than from existing openreach modem plus netgear ac1600 router?

PS thanks to all who have taken the trouble to read and respond so far!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

VDSL is a lot fussier with extensions, I used to get 17Mbps on my ADSL extension, but when I got FTTC, the engineer insisted on putting the Mk3 VDSL filter in the master socket. It's not in the ideal position, in the kitchen, but I have got round that by using a small bedside cabinet to hide everything, and Powerline plugs to deliver service to a small switch in the lounge to deliver ethernet to my TV/Blu Ray and other boxes - Wi-Fi for other stuff.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @RichyBoy @solent2 thank you for running through the troubleshooting checks.

If you continue to experience poor speeds, please raise a fault here: https://faults.plus.net . If you get back in touch on here once you've done this, we'll ensure that the ticket is picked up and that this is investigated further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
RichyBoy
Dabbler

Hi @EmilyD

I've raised a support ticket for this issue. Broadband speed checker results this morning:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 41.65 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-49.88 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 49.88 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.74Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Regards

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi RichyBoy, I've just added an update to your account. - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RichyBoy
Dabbler

Just giving this a little bump.. would have expected to have heard something by now...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Apologies for the delay in picking up your support ticket.

I've booked an appointment for an engineers visit for tomorrow morning.

Hope this helps and please let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RichyBoy
Dabbler

The engineer has been and it's all looking very positive now.

They've replaced the original openreach mk 1 master socket with a master socket 5c device, and said that a tooth was cracked on the old master socket, likely to be creating a fault. Engineer says the before/after is about a 20% up-tick in  bandwidth on the line.

As I am not using a conventional phone, and as I'm running my router from an extension they've recommended not to run with a VDSL filter, tested the bandwidth with both configurations and indeed having a VDSL filter on the line made things worse, so now I'm getting the same from the extension socket as I am the test socket.

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:23:57
6. Data rate: 20000 / 69329
7. Maximum data rate: 24022 / 69555
8. Noise margin: 6.8 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 16.3 / 16.1
10. Signal attenuation: 16.2 / 16.2

I'll let you know how this goes after a couple of more days but for me, problem solved. The GEA test you ran shows 471 metres of copper, the engineer says that FTTP would be easy, it's all there, just need my property management to get it installed. I guess that will be my next hobby!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Glad to hear they found a issue.

Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RichyBoy
Dabbler

I had a forced drop and reconnection, and now:

6. Data rate:

20000 / 72564

Very good!