Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure you could make this up...

AK
Dabbler

Not sure you could make this up...

Need help....please!
07/02 - reported dead phone line toplusnet. Told engineer would go to cabinet on the 12/02. Internet still working.
12/02 - internet stops working, phone still out. PlusNet no idea, so only re-open when I chase. Say and engineer must visit and if I am not in it will cost me 50quid. Pretty obvious that the problem is with whatever the 'engineer' did to the cabinet on the 12/02. But what can you do.
16/02 - engineer turns up at house (after we rearrange our schedule). Guess what, nothing wrong in the house. Go back to check cabinet? No he ain't qualified. (words almost fail me)
21/02 - engineer finally fixes phone line. The first 'engineer' had wired my phone line into the next door neighbour's house. Internet still down.
23/02 - internet finally reappears, but I do a speed test and get circa 3.6mbs. I am on the 72mbs package. Told it will come back up over 10 days or so as line stabilises
07/03 - still no change in speed so update the question (99711042)
09/03 - plusnet tell me that an engineer must visti my house and if I am not in they will charge me 60 quid!!! Seriously?Huh
At no stage on this saga has anyone from plusnet taken ownership. And as with previous experience with plusnet, there is no consistency in response when I call to chase. So...
There has to come a point where you guys have to stop wasting my time. Indeed, it must reach a point where you need to start paying me for me to rearrange my schedule to accommodate your incompetence. I believe that time is now. I have made reasonable endeavours to help you fix the problems. You guys have failed anything other than good honest incompetence. So here is my suggestion:
1. I will be seeking a refund for all internet charges from the time the internet went down (12/02) until you fix this problem.
2. If you would like access to my house (a pointless endeavour as indicated above), there will be a GBP 60 charge (i.e. you guys will pay me).
3. Please do not try to blame this on your suppliers. They are your suppliers not mine.
To other forum users, does my position seem reasonable? Has anyone done this before (presume the have)?
Also - in case anyone understand the test results below, could they make suggestions to plusnet as to how to resolve as plusnet don't seem to have the capability in house. Thanks
Radius:
Radius:

BTW:
Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 4.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.7 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name  0.128M-3.8M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp 2015-02-24T20:00:00
Estimate:
FTTC Range A (Clean) 77.6 57.9 20 18.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 70 41.3 20 12.2 -- Available
Summary:
Connection banded. WIll raise fault.
12 REPLIES 12
LukeS
Grafter

Re: Not sure you could make this up...

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I can see you have raised a complaint and that will be looked at in due course.
In regards to your fibre speeds, you really only have two options. You could wait, probably quite a long time, to see if the banding is removed or we can sent a fibre engineer as they will likely reset the line based on the issues you've had. The fault is currently waiting your response. We don't have the option to reset the line remotely like we do on ADSL and it could be that there is still a fault on the line.
AK
Dabbler

Thanks for the response Luke. I'd be interested in knowing exactly what the engineer will do at the house, especially given there was an engineer here two weeks ago who found no problems. Humour me here, assume the engineer comes and like their mate, finds no problems in the house, what will they do then? What would be the next step in solving the problem and where would that take place?
deathtrap
Grafter

If it's  just a DLM reset  all the engineer will do at your home at most is plug his JDSU/EXFO tester in at the test socket  confirm the low sync and check the errors rates ect,as well as some other tests to basically make sure that there isnt still a line fault, once satisfied they should phone through an order for a reset of the DLM which will put your line back on the Wide open dlm mode, as it was when your FTTC was installed,
AK
Dabbler

Thanks deathtrap. I think given they were at my house 2 weeks ago and found no issues, they should try all the fixes first before causing me further inconvenience. Plusnet need to think about this from a customer perpsective. I'm pretty convinced they are not actually capable of that though. Anyone from plusnet care to comment on why you can't try everything else first before inconveniencing me further?
LukeS
Grafter

Hi AK,
As Deathtrap has alluded to, the engineer won't actually do much but that's the only way we can reset the line. Openreach won't reset the line remotely because they believe in their DLM. The only time it should be manually reset is it there is/has been problem with the line.
Like I said, if you don't want an engineer you could wait and it should return but that's up to you. It's just how the technology works unfortunately, it's not something Plusnet have control over.
AndyH
Grafter

Openreach engineers were stopped from just resetting lines, unless they actually found/cleared a fault. The reason being is that on some lines they were not able to find/fix a fault, but performed a reset. Two days later, the end users were seeing DLM intervening/banding their connections and the engineers had to return again.
In your case, it looks like there is some kind of copper fault. Was the below test result before/after the engineer said the phone line issue was fixed? If the fault still exists, it needs to be fixed otherwise DLM will just do the same again on your line.
dnpark38
Rising Star

AndyH
OR Fibre Engineer visited me a few weeks back found no faults at my home or in the line but did from my home remotely set the DLM up again, was top speed at first then after 36 hours settled and has stayed like that.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
AndyH
Grafter

Did he visit as part of a fault call or new install?
dnpark38
Rising Star

Quote from: AndyH
Did he visit as part of a fault call or new install?

He was sent because the DLM was continualy lowering my download sync. speed.  This was second time OR had been sent, by my then ISP they told me OR would be sent repeatedly untill I was happy.
The ISP did specify a Fibre engineer had to be sent and not a lineman.
Following second visit and reset the signal to noise reading as been 6.6db or very near and sync. remained at 32Mb.
Now my present new install by Plusnet the broadband failed to take place yesterday because OR did not install a BT modem, I'm awaiting Plusnet to put this right.
dnpark38
Rising Star

PS
Sat in Starbucks sending this, at home having to pay BT to use their Wi-fi.
AK
Dabbler

Hi Andy H. Test result was after they said line was fixed. Oddly, that question, 98953029, has vanished from my question list in my plusnet account area. I even checked my emails to make sure I wasn't going mad. I'm OK with an engineer visit but given they have been before and not done a propper job, I expect something to recognise the inconvenience that they are causing, and the fact that I will need to the time off work.  Current system seems to be "computer says no".
AK
Dabbler

Check this gem from our favourite  "Good Honest" customer service champions:

"Your 3.6Mbits speed is within specification of your upto 76Mbit product" Grin Grin Grin
Honest as Swiss Tony.