cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what's happened to my fibre speed.

gwyndy
Dabbler

Not sure what's happened to my fibre speed.

When I signed up for PlusNet Fibre in October last year, I was getting between 32-34 Mb.
Since then, my fibre speed's been up and down, I have no idea what happened in February.
I carried out a BT Speedtest, and the 35-45 Mb I was promised last October is now 28.49 Mb with a maximum of 29.68Mb
Has anyone any idea what has caused this, and more importantly what I can do about it, if anything?

Sam Knows.png

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Not sure what's happened to my fibre speed.

Our tests aren't showing any issues so it's likely to be crosstalk which can bring your speeds down slightly as more people swap over to FTTC.

There isn't anything we can do about this I'm afraid as the drop isn't large enough for our suppliers to consider it a fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gwyndy
Dabbler

Thanks for the information Matthew. I think I'm going to have to convince my wife that we need to move nearer to my friend,
His cabinet isn't live yet, but he's a lot closer to his than I am - even when it drops, he hasn't enough neighbours to make that much difference.
It's a shame they don't tell you things like this are likely to happen when you sign up, there's at least  hundred properties between me and the Fibre Cabinet, how bad are things going to get when everyone signs up?

PS. For some reason:
1: I can't get the "Thanks" button to work on your post.

2: I cannot get an image link to show the thanks button either? Never had that happen at any forum before, normally I get the cache link and put it in [IMG ] [ /IMG]

post_thanks.gif

Mark

EDIT: Thanks Button working now. Forums, have to love them, or hate them, depending whether your a member, a mod, or an admin.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

it's likely to be crosstalk which can bring your speeds down slightly as more people swap over to FTTC.

which suggests to me that BTOR should be thinking about implementing vectoring technology (G.vector) for VDSL as soon as feasible, or our 'super-fast' Fibre connections will all be progressively slowed down!

gwyndy
Dabbler

I'm just glad I didn't pay the extra to go above 38MBps, or I would be really unhappy.

NoZephy
Rising Star

which suggests to me that BTOR should be thinking about implementing vectoring technology

The problem is, that would be called "common sense and forward planning"

A quality which BT obviously doesn't have and never will. GrinThumbs_Up