Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not seeing Fibre benefit - buffering?

Averagejoe
Grafter

Not seeing Fibre benefit - buffering?

Hi,
I may be only four days in but I'm really struggling to see the benefits of fibre, my gaming is no better arguably worse on BF4 on ps 4, and something that has never ever happened on ADSL is buffering mid movie on blinkbox SD.
Getting 38/16 on a 40/20 line with 29 ping, ADSL 16/0.8 49 ping
What's the point if getting degraded service with all this extra speed, PN staff am I still in cancellation period?
7 REPLIES 7
Jasmine

Re: Not seeing Fibre benefit - buffering?

Sounds to me like you're still in the cancellation period. I think the typical Plusnet cancellation period is 7 days, though in some cases 30.
FYI Cancellation charges can be seen here:
https://www.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary
As for performance on games - unless fibre is improving latency then it wouldn't make any difference, the main contender for online game performance is latency (aside from downloading a game, or updates).
Are you using the PlusNet-supplied router?
How is the service degraded? Can you give me more details? - by the stats you gave all aspects have improved - even latency - and upload has increased monumentally (which is one of the biggest advantages of fibre).
Averagejoe
Grafter

Ok, so I've been with PN a long time, possibly 10 yrs plus.  Since we upgraded to ADSL2 and started streaming on on xbox 360 and ps3 we've never had a mid film buffer, Netflix, Amazon or Blinkbox.
Moved to fibre last Friday on 40/20.
Watching blinkbox last night on 360 we had buffer twice, once quite quick, once we needed to reset xbox.  With all this extra DL speed why is this happening or am I not understanding how this all works?
Couldn't get PN hardware to work but had a tp link 9980 on order so that is up and running.
We game on X1 and PS4, I understand that latency hasn't improved massively, and wasn't told it would by PN so fair enough, I do think the rubber banding on BF4 has got worse, X1 seems ok.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your having issues.
The router we sent wasn't properly setup but I've sorted that now so if you connect that up it should work.
With regards to buffering do you get the same issue on another service like iPlayer?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Averagejoe
Grafter

Matthew,
I'll try and run some Netflix, Amazon and iplayer over next couple of days at peak periods and let you know, thanks.
Also compare xbox and ipad.
Averagejoe
Grafter

Not really had much of a run at this yet, tried iplayer through xbox360, buffered every 15 secs or so on HD, just about played on SD.  Tried through xbox one and played ok on HD, although that is through 5ghz wireless in same room.  
Just tried iplayer now on ipad and managed 5 mins with no buffering.  This all seems ok but at the moment Blinkbox is not on next gen consoles and still no idea why it has never happened on ADSL?
Need to try blinkbox again at peak time to compare.
Just got 39/15 41 ping
Taaketa
Grafter

Are you using the Plusnet router? If you received one.
Averagejoe
Grafter

Taaketa,
No, I tried the PN hardware but it failed, one of the PN guys further up the thread stated that the PN router wasn't set up. Anyway, I'm using a new TP Link 9980 VDSL router/modem.
Thanks