Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting speeds I paid for.

IIDiabolos
Dabbler

Not getting speeds I paid for.

Hi,

So we just joined PlusNet around two weeks ago, and the switch had finally been completed today. We have our own router ( TP-Link Archer VR900), so no engineer came around. I recently tried 3 speed tests, including the BTW speed test only to find that I'm only reaching up to 40mb max when I should be getting much higher speeds due to being on the Unlimited Fibre Extra package. I have posted screenshots below of the speed test results as well as the estimated line speed.

BTW Speed Test: http://prntscr.com/kst5kl

Estimated Line Speed: http://prntscr.com/kstadx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
IIDiabolos
Dabbler

Re: Not getting speeds I paid for.

Right, so I just connected my router through the master socket since apparently, I had my router was connected to the extension socket this entire time, yet the speed I'm getting is even worse! 32mb to be specific. I'm certain its the master socket since its the only socket with the Openreach logo, and I can see black wires connected to it externally.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

I have ran some checks on your line, and I have attached the results below;

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 37.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 11.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 539.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-08-29T11:30:00

Please can you make sure that you are connected to the test socket. You can find instructions here on how to do this.

If you already in the test socket, please can you raise a fault here and let us know when you have done this.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

@deank

Could the line have been provisioned at 40/10? As @IIDiabolos states he has paid for an 80/20 service, nothing he does will alter the 40M and 10M limits shown above.

Although they do need to try the test socket to see if the "Bridge Tap" error goes away.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @SpendLessTime,

Thank you for raising that point. I've checked on the order now and thankfully I can confirm that this has been provisioned on the 80/20 service.

@IIDiabolos, please try connecting to the test socket and, if this doesn't resolve the problem, report a fault via the link from @deank's post. If you drop us another message on here once you've done this we'll be able to investigate this issue further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
IIDiabolos
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for your responses, the assistance is greatly appreciated. I did what was asked, and I connected to the test socket. The download speed is now reaching 40mb, although the upload speed dropped to 10mb.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to report a fault for some reason as it gives me this error whenever I try.

"There's been a problem

We're sorry, but you can't use the Broadband Troubleshooter to report a fault on your service. Please contact our Support Team for help."

I've attached new speed test results below.

IIDiabolos
Dabbler

@EmilyD@deank

I also ran the Further Diagnostics test, and this is the result that came up. I don't know whether it's important, but I feel like the max achievable speed being 44.48Mbps is an issue.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @IlDiabolos

I can see that you've discussed this with one of my colleagues on a ticket here.

Let us know how you get on once you're outside of the ten day training period.

Best wishes,

Dave

IIDiabolos
Dabbler

Can I just inquire whether I'm on FTTP or FTTC? I was wondering whether my router is the issue since my router doesn't support FTTP.
feeps
Grafter

FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet).
Geek, Photographer, Gamer.
IIDiabolos
Dabbler

Right, so it's been ten days and so far the issue is still persisting. I'm only maxing out to around 48mbps in downloads, whilst I've seen the upload speed go up to around 14 mbps.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

What speeds does the DSL Checker say you should be getting when you put your phone number in?

IIDiabolos
Dabbler

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@IIDiabolos Thanks.

Do you have your synch speeds, or better info from the /Helpdesk page from you router?

They will be the speeds that PN will say you are paying for and should be within the range from the DSL Checker, and from what you have said so far are about right.

IIDiabolos
Dabbler

@Mustrum

I have posted my estimated line speed, if that's what you're asking?