cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting quoted upload speed

gavpop

Not getting quoted upload speed

I've recently signed up to Plusnet's Fibre Unlimited package, which apparently gives approx 40Mbps Download & 2Mbps Upload.
Having performed a speed test when I got it, I was only achieving 1.5Mbps upload. 
IMO - This is woefully inadequate for today's internet usage.  I have two daughters who love uploading to Youtube and whenever they do, it kills our connection.
So anyway - I contacted Plusnet and the nice chap agreed to increase the upload to 20Mbps.
Having looked at my modem stats, I can see upstream sync is now around 17Mbps, so it looks like he's done what he said he was going to do.
However, whenever I perform a speed test, I still only get 1.5Mbps.
I contacted Plusnet last night who told me that this might be because my modem is still "learning".  This sounded vague and bit of a fob off.
Can anyone shed any light on what might be at fault?
Also - is anyone else experiencing issues using Plusnet's online chat facility?  It's been down for me for two days.
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Not getting quoted upload speed

are those tests wired or wireless
can you check using this tester http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and report the graph
chat worked fine for me this morning - perhaps an ad blocker is stopping it
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

What does 'Further Diagnostics' here show for your upstream IP Profile?
It's just possible that the 2Mb/s upstream profile is still there somewhere in the system.
Regarding Chat, do you have ANY kind of adblocker running in your browser (including Anti-Virus add-ins)?  These can stop Chat from working if they block Google GTM
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gavpop

The tests are wired.
I used to have Sky Fibre and I got 10Mbps upload with them.  So I know there aren't any technical issues with my line and that the way I'm testing speeds is proven.
I've attached the speed chart and Speed Profile below.
It looks to me like the line speed is correct, but Plusnet is throttling the connection still, down to 2Mbps.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gavpop
So anyway - I contacted Plusnet and the nice chap agreed to increase the upload to 20Mbps.
Presumably you are now on Fibre Unlimited Extra and are paying more per month?
The way you have phrased it implies you got the upgrade for free which I'm sure will interest many people Smiley
People will be particularly interested if you've managed to get yourself put onto 40/20 since that product is long extinct (well - for new customers anyway).
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Also - is anyone else experiencing issues using Plusnet's online chat facility?  It's been down for me for two days.

Used it this morning and yesterday with no issues.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Looking at the BT wholesale screen shot you could still be on the old profile.
Can you go to here and see what your current line speed and estimated line speed is?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Morning Gavpop,
Allow me 10 minutes and I'll be back in with an update
gavpop

Quote from: Andrue
Presumably you are now on Fibre Unlimited Extra and are paying more per month?
The way you have phrased it implies you got the upgrade for free which I'm sure will interest many people Smiley
People will be particularly interested if you've managed to get yourself put onto 40/20 since that product is long extinct.

Yes - I got it for free.  I basically said that the 40/2 wasn't adequately advertised, which I don't believe it is. All their advertisements are quoting download speeds, but upload speeds are difficult to find. And as I'm still in the cooling off period, I'll be cancelling my order if upload isn't increased.  The chap I was chatting to had a personal opinion that Plusnet's new 2Mbps upload policy is inadequate, and so he was happy for push through an upgrade for free.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Lucky  Cheesy
Yes 2mb is inadequate.
Before switching to 80/20 last night I was on the 40/20 package but found that with 3 of us in the house all online at the same time is being a bit slow. Lips_are_sealed
NE
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again,
Whilst the line has been upgraded the speeds our side have had no changes made and no note of the package chang by the agent you spoke to unfortunately, I've asked one of my colleagues to give you a quick call to get that sorted
gavpop

TBH - I don't care so much about download.  20Mbps would be sufficient download.  But 2Mbps upload is pathetic.  What with my kids wanting to share every aspect of their daily lives to all and sundry, it kills our connection each and every time they upload.
If Plusnet were to put me on 10Mbps upload, I'd be more than happy.  Being given 20Mbps is very nice though and I'm not complaining!!
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My colleague has said things have been sorted now, he's updating the account as I type this, if you restart the router in around 30 minutes you'll get the full speed straight away