Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not connecting above 29999

ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not connecting above 29999

Hi

I was recently upgraded from standard ADSL to VDSL.  My router ( a Cisco 894VAW shows line capacity at 35 Mb/s yet the connection speed is never above 29999    The fact it's always 29999 makes me wonder if some limit is being placed on the connection.  Please could a member of PlusNet staff take a look for me?

10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Not connecting above 29999

Testing your line isn't showing any issues:

Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 28.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

That sync speed is within the range we'd expect for your line too.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
run187
Dabbler

@ccarmock wrote:

Hi

I was recently upgraded from standard ADSL to VDSL.  My router ( a Cisco 894VAW shows line capacity at 35 Mb/s yet the connection speed is never above 29999    The fact it's always 29999 makes me wonder if some limit is being placed on the connection.  Please could a member of PlusNet staff take a look for me?

Check your ip profile on the pn site plusnet have reset a few for some reason and not reset them ..

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The profile on our side can't affect the sync speed.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ccarmock
Rising Star

Picking up this thread again, as my stats imply I should get a better connection speed than I am.I am using a Cisco 897 router which has a value for attainable speed and sync:-

DOWN                UP

Noise Margin:             8.1 dB                25.0 dB
Attainable Rate:        36045 kbits/s       8413 kbits/s
Actual Power:            11.5 dBm            6.3 dBm
Per Band Status:        D1      D2      D3      U0      U1      U2      U3
Line Attenuation(dB):   20.9    58.8    88.6    10.6    49.6    N/A     N/A

Signal Attenuation(dB): 22.9    58.4    N/A     10.6    48.1    0.0     N/A

Noise Margin(dB):       7.9     8.3     N/A     24.9    25.0    N/A     N/A

Yes the actual sync speed is always 29999 DOWN   and 2000 UP

the BT checker stats that my line should achieve between 27.4 and 37.8 down and between 5.9 and 7.5 UP.

Now since my router tells me the line has an attainable UP of more than the top end of range A I would expect to see downstream connection of something more than the low end of the A range.

Before this line was converted to VDSL it was on PN ADSL 2+ and achieved 17 Mb/s whereas the BT checker estimated a max of 9 Mb/s    Which seems to indicate a very clean line.   So I am surprised it always syncs at exactly 29999.

ccarmock
Rising Star

Adding to this - I have read elsewhere of people having this exact problem - when BT might have placed the line into a capped profile of 30 Mb/s and this results in a sync speed of 29999.

Please could this be checked and the cap removed as the line is capable of more than this.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is your line operating with interleaving in use? If so, the max attainable rate reported by the modem is often much higher than what the line is actually capable of. Although the SNRM of 8 does suggest it might be slightly faster without the banding.

Usually, the FTTC DLM can only be reset by an Openreach engineer, and the engineer is only supposed to do a DLM reset if they've fixed a fault on the line.

ccarmock
Rising Star

The issue I have is that the line tests ok - the GEA report from PlusNet stats no fault at customer premises and states next action is to have special faults remove banding. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Yes that sounds quite likely - the DLM often applies banding to lines as part of its normal operation. If you get a DLM reset to remove the banding, there's nothing stopping the DLM putting the banding back again.

When the line test indicates there's no fault, and the speeds are within the estimates, that tends to mean that an engineer visit would need to be booked as an SFI (special faults investigation), which would end up costing Plusnet if the tests the engineer does show the physical line is within the specifications. Or perhaps they might be able to book it as a boost visit, which I think always cost Plusnet.

It may be a crazy situation, but that's how the FTTC DLM operates and I don't think ISPs have the ability to just reset it the same way as they can do for ADSL.

Your other option is to just live with the banding, as it's only costing you a few Mbps.

Out of interest, which type of cabinet are you connected to, Huawei or ECI? Huawei would be indicated by vendor code BDCM in the modem stats, and IFTN for ECI.

ccarmock
Rising Star

Thanks for this.  This is a crazy situation though where people artificially get lower speeds than they could do.     The problem I have with this is that plusnet warn me of a charge for no fault found.   The reports says no fault at my property, yet the report says banding should be removed.

So if they won't do it without a visit I am guaranteed a charge as there is no fault to be found at my end - the report confirms it.

I am using a Cisco 897 router which uses a Broadcom chipset. It reports the cabinet is BDCM which indicates Huawei.

Understood re a few Mb/s - but in reality it would give a 24% increase so in my view worth pushing for.  Mind you I still have to suffer a poor upload due to PlusNet's archaic offering there.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I asked about the cabinet type because there was an issue earlier this year with the G.INP activation for ECI cabinets, which later got disabled again, and in some cases left lines stuck at a lower speed. But that is not applicable to Huawei cabinets. So without any idea of why the banding was applied in the first place, there's no guarantee it won't return.

Of course now that Plusnet have told you that you won't be charged, you don't have to worry about that aspect. You might even get the new type of master socket while the engineer is there.